Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Epic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Default Nefarian

We will be working hard on Nefarian this week. Please watch the Tankspot video, it's great. I'm really looking forward to the fight.

It should suit our available raid combos very well, except I'm not sure who I'll assign to gather and kite the adds in phase 1. Fancy getting a frost spec, Contagion?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Apparently turning water collision off works wonders for getting on the pillars.

A blog about games. - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Tanking him in the very center of the room in P3 and rotating his head away from the adds halion-style seems to work better on all raid sizes and difficulty settings.

If you wanna see how it's done check the HC method video that's probably the best PoV for it.

Keep in mind that with your setup you can use 2 turn evils, 2 shackles, and a fear to keep them CC'd since kiting in P1 is not wonderfully effective with their speed buff.

Last edited by Del; 02-03-2011 at 05:59 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

I have been hearing that using CC to hold them inplace is a bad idea, as it increases the likelyhood of them getting hit by a shadowflame ability, thus resetting their energy bar - some Mage specific guides I was reading says that Ring of Frost should only be used in an absolute emergency for example.

With this in mind, I am not sure how effective Contagion would be at add control as Frost, as his only real AoE control ability as frost is an AoE stun type thing similar to RoF - Hungering Cold.

He could use Chillblains to keep them all snared, but apparently they have an ability called Hurl Bone which does 200% of normal weapon damage and stacks their buff - so if they couldn't reach him they might just spam hurl bone on him and the damage on him may simply become unhealable...

A poster on the tankspot forums notes that the Empower buff they have stacks baed on TIME, not when they land a hit - unless it has been updated I believe the tankspot video might be incorrect in this. He advises simply tanking them, as apparently they are "fairly easily managed, with a cooldown or two." Once in position he then says that AoE stuns such as Shockwave (maybe get Uru to tank them) and Shadowfury, used in rotation where possible, can help to reduce the damage the add tank takes.

Having re read what I just wrote however, that seems to imply three tanks (one for Nef, one for Ony and one for the adds) which sounds very much like a 25 man tactic to me.

I suppose the main danger with kiting, aside from the speed buff, is that it seems like it's very important for phase 3 to have them all die in the same spot, and if you are using a ranged kiter then there is always the danger of healing aggro or other such annoyances causing them to split up - kiting adds at range is one thing but keeping them all in a neat group is often quite another.

CC might be the best plan, though I could see a plan based on holding them all with CC going horribly wrong very fast if anything unexpected / bad happens. Turn Evil is surely extremely risky as it causes them to flee, meaning you have zero control over where they run off to - there is no Warlock style glyph for turn evil to root them to the spot either, the turn evil glyph makes it insta cast but with a longer cooldown.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM

The shadowblaze is only used in P3 which is when you have a free tank to kite the adds. He doesn't use this in Phase 1 and since you can't take 3 tanks, CC is probably your best option.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 PM

How hard does Ony hit? A poster on tankspot said they had used a DPS DK in blood presence to tank her in P1.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 AM

Not sure. The main risk you run there is ony landing a critical hit for 100k right at the same second as a crackle, which, even through AMS, is gonna kill you.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM

We should be able to have the proper Tank free from adds and back on Ony before we force the first crackle, if we're sensible. We can give it a go tonight.