Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

Closed Thread

#21   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Talking

Gathering / Levelling event added: [url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4979[/url]

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Exclamation

Craft Fair Event Added! Sign Up! [url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4982[/url]

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Pretty happy with how this thread has turned out. Props to Antonius for coming up with some really great ideas.

Aphaeus raises a very vaild point there are a number of officers who'd definately approach with ideas for guild stuff, but others are very busy and understandably focused on raiding. When people enjoy that element it seems mean to be badgering them, and a dedicated person would definately alleviate that sentiment. Additionally I think having an officer presence at events boosts their attendance considerably, otherwise its not an official thing, this was highlighted by Chewwie helping last Sat and it seeing great numbers and even more so with the awards. If we just set stuff up on our own it'll naturally not get the same attention. Again this is something a dedicated socialite would be able to go along and assist with.

I still think a socially orientated role would be of great benefit to the guild, and even if its not an officer it'd be nice for them to be able to create events on the calender. If there is someone who can demonstrate they can be trusted with that responsibilty why not create the role? Its not asking for someone to contribute to the officers discussions just an easier way for us to create events, which is really what we're after. If they attend them then it adds weight to the events too which is also a nice side effect.

I think it's also interesting to note that simply the sheer number of viewings this thread has demonstrates the level of interest this topic generates. Its less than a day old and we have over 220 views. Big Sooz's thread which was in a similar vein generated over 800 views, more than our (albeit jokey) thread on Cata's first impressions. This topic is close to a lot of members hearts, even if they don't post a great deal about it.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM

I thought there were some officers set up for events already. I'm sure one of the officer guild ranks is called events editor or something like that.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by apheni View Post
    Pretty happy with how this thread has turned out. Props to Antonius for coming up with some really great ideas.

Aphaeus raises a very vaild point there are a number of officers who'd definately approach with ideas for guild stuff, but others are very busy and understandably focused on raiding. When people enjoy that element it seems mean to be badgering them, and a dedicated person would definately alleviate that sentiment. Additionally I think having an officer presence at events boosts their attendance considerably, otherwise its not an official thing, this was highlighted by Chewwie helping last Sat and it seeing great numbers and even more so with the awards. If we just set stuff up on our own it'll naturally not get the same attention. Again this is something a dedicated socialite would be able to go along and assist with.

I still think a socially orientated role would be of great benefit to the guild, and even if its not an officer it'd be nice for them to be able to create events on the calender. If there is someone who can demonstrate they can be trusted with that responsibilty why not create the role? Its not asking for someone to contribute to the officers discussions just an easier way for us to create events, which is really what we're after. If they attend them then it adds weight to the events too which is also a nice side effect.

I think it's also interesting to note that simply the sheer number of viewings this thread has demonstrates the level of interest this topic generates. Its less than a day old and we have over 220 views. Big Sooz's thread which was in a similar vein generated over 800 views, more than our (albeit jokey) thread on Cata's first impressions. This topic is close to a lot of members hearts, even if they don't post a great deal about it.
    I'm not sure that I can see the benefit of creating a role just for the hell of it. If people want change, they have to be prepared to work for it and contribute accordingly. The way I see it - you are asking for a label that says 'i'm your social worker and voice to the guild'. I don't see how that validates change in peoples apathy.

PCG works because there is an open forum for people to acknowledge achievements, highlight where it succeeds AND fails. There may have been over 200 views on this topic, but unless people really want to highlight where things are going wrong - they need to voice it. 9/10 i bet that if you had a voiced genuine concern an officer would pick it up and discuss it.

People need to get out of the mindset that 'nothing happens'. People need to become more orientated that if you want to do something: -

Take some responsibility and initiative. Yes the 'R' and 'I' words. Moaning in guild chat / vent will not solve the position you are in.
    Post it on the forums - people do read them, its sometimes easier to plan events using them out of game.
    Also tell the officers so that this can be promoted on the calendar in game.
    Promote it in-game.

Its as Tim and Ross & our officers have said numerous times - its our guild - Lets make the best of it!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hpsaucy View Post
    I thought there were some officers set up for events already. I'm sure one of the officer guild ranks is called events editor or something like that.
    As i understand it. Generally for simplicity sakes more than anything we are all Staff Writers after our probationary period in Lackey. This is for us all to be given a pretty level playing field and access to all but the most valuable treasure in the Gbank.

The officers are all Events Editors who we voice our concerns to and ask politely for tab 5 consideration.

Ross is Deputy Editor, Tim is King of Bears, i mean GM.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM
    Tim Edwards

Hey,

So I read this pretty closely, and I agree with some of what's said, but not all of it.

First of all: please don't judge how the guild is and is going to be for the next two years after six days of playing the expansion pack. There will be fun events, and there will be fun times ahead. We're working on what they will be, but I'm not going to commit to when they'll be until we have a plan in place. We'll talk more about it after the weekend.

Second: we've had purely social officers in the past, and they've drifted away. It just doesn't work. They end up being a dogsbody - part gopher, part cruise ship entertainer. It's not a fun job, and it's not what anyone would want to spend the next six months of their spare time doing. What I would prefer is that we give anyone who wants to run something the support and access they need to make that happen, alongside the rest of the guild activities we do. And if they're really fun, we'll make them a regular thing.

Third: I'm aware that we have an apparent shortness of raid teams given the scale of the guild right now. That seems scary, particularly when you're 85, itching to raid, and are seeing world firsts of Cata bosses across the web.

Relax about it. If you want to start a raid team, and get moving on that, then get in contact, and we'll create a forum for you, carve a space in the calendar, and make sure you've got the support you need. Some of our raid teams are very focused and will be in dungeons soon. But that's 10-15 people in a guild of hundreds. The reality is that players in WoW proceed at different paces.

But: I need players who want to raid but don't fit into the current Epic, Win, Awesome and Super structure to contact me, so that we can figure out if we do need a new team.

Fourth: Please, when you're starting to realise that you're bored, don't focus your attention on what the guild is doing to entertain you, or try to work out what other players can do to entertain you. If you're bored, you're not having fun. Go and do something that is fun for you, instead. I see a lot of people online 24/7, and that's just not healthy. Please, for yourself, and those around you, take a break.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm just going to lock this thread to prevent a flame war. Tim will reply with an appropriate answer I expect.
    Closed Thread