Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 02:20 AM

Default Running out of hard drive space

Hi!

So I'm sure there is much simpler way of asking and explaining this question, but I will try my best to be understandable.

Alright so I have a 1TB HDD in my computer that is drive (E). It holds all of my games, movies, programs etc. Then I have my SSD with the OS on it. The problem is that my HDD almost out of space, and I want to know what I can do to increase the amount of storage I have.

Here's the confusing question: Can I physically install another HDD (e.g. 1TB) into my computer, and then make it expand drive (E)? So (E) has 1TB of storage right now, but if I did what I'm talking about, can I increase that storage to 2TB by making the new HDD a part of (E)?

Or, do I simply need to buy a larger hard drive and transfer everything over?

Thanks for all of your help, I'm sorry if this a dumb or confusing question.

~Cryo

ASUS VE228 x2 | Razer Blackwidow 2013 | Razer Deathadder | Astro A40 w/ Mixamp Pro | Logitech Z313
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 AM

you need buy another HDD(hard drive) or get rid of the files that are taking most the space. PErsonally never keep more then 10 games on my computer at time simply because , they do take up space.

You can try CCleaner, it deletes temporary files and stuff you may not know eexist like internet browser cache.

YOu can't expand a HDD. Once it is at capacity, it is full.

if you buy a new hard drive windows will usually assign it a Letter automatically.

HDD are plug and play devices

Last edited by Dren_Utogi; 02-27-2014 at 03:27 AM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dren_Utogi View Post
    you need buy another HDD(hard drive) or get rid of the files that are taking most the space. PErsonally never keep more then 10 games on my computer at time simply because , they do take up space.

You can try CCleaner, it deletes temporary files and stuff you may not know eexist like internet browser cache.

YOu can't expand a HDD. Once it is at capacity, it is full.

if you buy a new hard drive windows will usually assign it a Letter automatically.

HDD are plug and play devices
    I wouldn't call them plug and play completely. Most of the time they do need to be formatted before they can be used for storage.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM

you can put as many hard drives in your PC as the PC has connections for (remembering the optical drive will take up a connection) so if the PC had 4 sata ports with an optical drive installed you could still have 3 hard drives, there is no limits in windows to how many hard drives you can have.

as for installing, just connect the sata lead to the motherboard and hard drive and hook up a power connector from the PSU, new hard drives will nearly always come unformatted (it's the pre formatted ones that have been known to ship with viruses) so you will most likely need to go to "control panel>admin tools>computer management" then go down to storage and disc management, here you should see the new disc as unformatted, here you can format it and also add a drive letter so it will show up on your PC.