Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > PC Gamer - Gamer Rank Beta Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Default The Gamer Rank Suggestions Thread!

If you have any ideas or suggestions for things we could do with Gamer Rank then post them here. We'll confirm as soon as we can whether any suggestions are:

a) already planned
    b) going to be added to our list
    c) not possible!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Is there a way of displaying what people are currently playing or have played in the last x minutes? Would be nice to see what the community is playing on a given evening.

Also, it shows us what games are most played but how about which games are popular by purchase each day / week? And maybe what the last few games a person has purchased. We'd find out who secretly plays Secret of the Magic Crystals and Petz 2.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Some musings:

A little more insight to the nature of the metric that determines your rank would be good.

I presume that the idea of ranking people is to stir their competitive natures and as such the metric needs to be understood so the actions taken to become #1 are clear.

A way to compare two given users could be quite fun, particularly in terms of their ranking.

Being able to drill into the charts to another level would also be interesting for example 39 hours was spent on Skyrim on Saturday, I could click on that and see the breakdown of the users who contributed that time perhaps with a top 5 of users who are clocking the most time?

Perhaps for those motivated by achievements there could be a method of linking users who are attempting to get a certain achievement with someone who already has it to provide advice/guidance?

In general I cant help but feel this type of content would be better delivered to a mobile device? Although the content is interesting to some extent I dont see myself visiting it regularly in a desktop environment in its current guise. That said its the perfect type of content to be consumed on my commute.

Linked to the above, is there a social element of this that could be explored?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

A social element would be grand- i think i've already mentioned this, but a way to post challenges for certain achievements (little rocket man being a prime example) would make this feature i think.

I can't help feeling that as it is, cool and informative as it is, it's a bit aimless? or is that just me?

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokey View Post
    Linked to the above, is there a social element of this that could be explored?
    I think that when it comes to rankings.. the social elements disappear into thin air.

Talking about 'rankings' and 'social' is merely in my mind adding different lables to the hardcore-casual scale.

Try getting conversation out of those turkeys on iRacing........nah mate, they're there to race, not to sit and chew fat with slowpokes like me.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
    Banned

Wait, what ,waaaa? where did this sub forum pop up from? It wasnt here an hour ago. Whats this thing all about then?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    Wait, what ,waaaa? where did this sub forum pop up from? It wasnt here an hour ago. Whats this thing all about then?
    I got it this morning too. I think people are slowly being allowed in.

It's all to do with PCG's beta feature, the gamer rank. Where you can log in with your steam account. I don't know much more because I haven't got it working yet. But I'm at work and not going to fiddle with it now.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
    Banned

Ahh I see, sort of like GFWL then? lol

But yeah, sounds cool, be interested to see what happens.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Test sdfsd

EDIT: Finally no more admin approval lol

Anyways, I was going to say, the current way it is set up its too far out of the way. Is there anyway we could have a drop down menu beside the users name which links to it?
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM

I thought this was the off-topic forum! You must move it to the top of the sub-forum list so there's no more confusion. How's that for a suggestion!?