Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#11   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) View Post
    Me too!! but in my case it's not a fantasy.
    Well...fuck youuu. Now I'm depressed. But not in a cool "I'm so tired of this shit and need another smoke and drink before solving this awful crime on the grim rainy streets of megacity grim" way either
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM

think you get the message, but it's not only one of the greatest sci fi films ever made, but one of my favorite films of all time, full stop.

Beautiful imagery, superb cast, brilliant script and a plot, with sub plot upon sub plot.

I'd be really interested to know what your thoughts were once you've seen it- but absolutely get the directors cut. You'll be missing out on quite a few layers of the story otherwise.

Put it this way, if my local cinema put it on tomorrow, i'd cancel everything and go watch it.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    think you get the message, but it's not only one of the greatest sci fi films ever made, but one of my favorite films of all time, full stop.

Beautiful imagery, superb cast, brilliant script and a plot, with sub plot upon sub plot.

I'd be really interested to know what your thoughts were once you've seen it- but absolutely get the directors cut. You'll be missing out on quite a few layers of the story otherwise.

Put it this way, if my local cinema put it on tomorrow, i'd cancel everything and go watch it.
    My thoughts exactly. Blade Runner truly is a sci-fi masterpiece... one for the ages.

I agree with whomever said to watch the director's cut. There is also the "Final Cut", which is also very good, but the director's cut is more ambiguous and allows you to think for yourself.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    Don't feel stupid! But definitely watch it. And then do some reading on it.
    By read do you mean read: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F"]Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?[/URL] I would recommend the book too but the film barely references it in my opinion.

Personally I'd suggest getting "The Final Cut" version over "The Director's Cut" but to be honest which you prefer will come down to a matter of opinion. Although the Final Cut has better quality sound and video and is available on BluRay if that matters.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM

I was more referring to reading just general opinions and stuff about the film, seeing as he wasn't much aware of the culture surrounding it.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM

And don't forget note the soundtrack by Vangelis
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM

If you have recently seen Prometheus, watch Bladerunner to make yourself feel better.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM

I have just created a trial of Love Film so I can watch this. You guys do realize you have hyped it up to sky high levels?

I expect great things

Now all I got to do is wait for for the Royal Mail.

Edit: I am getting the directors cut by the way.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks

Last edited by Daniel; 12-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM

just wait until night, ideally when raining/stormy, turn all the lights off, get a whiskey and then sit down, uninterrupted for the film. Kick everyone else out of the house, this is something to savor.

You know, i kind of envy you, being able to watch it all again for the first time.

Just think of it as a sci-fi detective noir. Don't go into it expecting anything else and it'll all go well for you (not trying to hedge the greatness of the film here, just suggesting the 'right' mindset to get the most out of it).

Then come back here and discuss!!

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM

There's also an old adventure game based on the films setting that was quite good.