Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Planetside 2

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Default CPU usage

I keep reading that PS2 is SUPER CPU hungry, but I honestly can't see it. At best I'm seeing 50% load on my CPU and it doesn't run hot AT ALL.

Do SOE have any plans to fix this? Is it because it's a 32bit client? I'm just all kinds of frustrated here because I dip to 30 ish FPS in some situations when I KNOW I should be able to run it smoother than this.
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Mobo: ASUS P67 Pro
    PSU: Corsair AX 750W
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM

I've been wondering the exact same thing. People on the official forums keep talking about the "CPU-hunger" but I'm not seeing more than 50% either. If this is Planetside 2 not using enough of the CPU power then I hope they fix it soon.

Would also like to know if anyone had some more clarity on the subject.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM

Just to rule out the obvious - are you looking at the total CPU usage or the CPU usage on a single core? I'm not sure the game is well optimised for multi-core systems?

For me, in big team fights I get about 20 FPS with the CPU causing the bottleneck most of the time (the in-game FPS meter [Alt+F] shows which is limiting the frame rate it can render - CPU or GPU).

That's pretty bad considering I have an overclocked i7 920, 12 Gb RAM and a 7950 graphics card - while the CPU is now a little old I'd still consider it to be a pretty good spec PC.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM

This game is definitely CPU hungry. I have an i5 2500k running at 4.6Ghz and I see 100% CPU use in high traffic areas. Granted, I rarely drop below 50-60 FPS, but I do see the CPU use.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM

I don't notice the CPU usage at all either. the most I was able to pick up wis 65% total usage.....I've determined, my-self, that it was my GPU. I run it at 60 with minor traffic 50 medium traffic and 30-40 in all out battles. But it looks as though 680's, are having problems so i'm at a loss.
    My CPU doesn't heat up all that much either. The Witcher 2 gets it about 7* hotter(max temp) than this game and I run that at 50-60/1080p max (uber off).
    Case:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition||Screen:40" LCD-RCA