Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Default COD Single Player games are a train wreck IMO.

They're just so generic with a story that is entirely told in the margins between missions though boring cutscenes. The level design is basically a linear line where you're constantly being pushed forwards, even if they try to mask with with the level being more open. You cannot ever open your own doors which annoys me, there is always some NPC event that does it for you. These games don't let you think, they have no other gameplay but a turrent section or running and gunning.

I've never been a fan of CoD, I've always hated them from the very start, for me they don't tell a story even though their setup is like they're trying to. Their characters are never memorable, there is never any cohesive story, it's always each mission is it's own thing so they can put you in a new location while they try to fit some over arching story around it and it never works. I'm not bored of WW2 games, I love that setting and I love programs like Band of Brother, however I've bored of Infinity Wards style of WW2 games. They miss the point of it entirely, they weren't about action, action, action but about the highs and lows with the people you're fighting with whole become your friends. Instead all these CoD games do is try to glamorize war in like an 80s style game setup, just about getting more points and killing shit in other words.

In the end it just feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again and there is no reason to. It's just so boring and like it has been done 100 times before. The only missions I've liked in any COD game was that Chernobyl one on COD4, that felt like they were trying something new. Sadly that missions now along with that over head bombing one has become something they feel to need to try and copy and put in every COD game since lol. Again they missed the point on why people liked that, it was the story telling, it was the bond you had with the Millian and the respect you gained for Price. With that over head bombing mission people felt disturbed by it because it really felt like you could be killing actual people. You even had that Nuke part later on in the game which was shocking, you didn't expect them to kill you off like that. However again it has become in COD where they always need a moment like that and they've probably had 100 nukes since and even in MW2 you have that being shot scene lol. Sadly I don't like the rest of COD4 because it was a shooting gallery, however it had flashes of brilliance that are now CoD cliches.

Why I love HL games is because they're one continuous level, the story is built into the game, you really feel like you're getting to know the characters. There aren't any cutscenes where you want to skip because Valve love to keep you inside the game at all times, looking through the eyes of your character. So instead of feeling like you're not in control and watching a boring cutscene, if they ever do take away your control, you feel powerless because there is always a reason for it. You're always tied up or being held in or by something to why you cannot move anything but your head.

HL games got linear perfectly right before linear really existed in FPS games.You open doors yourself, you progress at your pace, NPCs don't keep on spawning until you keep moving forward and you don't need to wait for a door to be open every time to get to the next part of the level. It isn't constant action, you have down times too where you get to know the characters like when you're throwing the ball with Dog or the opening train scene or even the bit where the portal goes wrong. These are the moments people remember the most and the moments people always want more of. I always hate it when there is something in the game but it is always dealt with by a movie cutscene or they take control away from you. Say for example in opening to Batman AA when you're walking into the prison, that was a true HL like moment, imagine if they did that with a boring movie? The game just wouldn't have had the impact it did if it did that. It's like whenever you see park rides in games but you can never go on them, I want to go on them because it would be fun. That is something that always bothered me about GTA 4, why can't I use the petrol stations or go on that roller coaster? It isn't boring, it builds the world and makes it feel more real for me.

I keep seeing from console gamer websites that they hate the first person platforming, hate the physics puzzles and even the physics in HL2. I remember one site saying Episode 2 felt like they cut the fat away and made HL a perfect length. However for me it was the fat I loved about HL2, there were so many parts that didn't need to be there but were and they ended up being my favorite parts in a way. They made the world feel more real because these were moments you'd have in real life, instead of being on a constant high from combat or whatever. I love the physics puzzles like having to pick up objects and putting them on the sand and then having to jump on them so you didn't spawn more Antlions. I loved the platforming under the bridge part, it all adds different types of interesting gameplay, instead of feeling stuck to a 2d plane like COD. What ever happened to physics in games? Since HL2 no one has done it and all the levels feel so static and lifeless. I love GTA 4 because of all the physics objects in the world, if it didn't have them it wouldn't feel convincing.

What do I know CoD is what people seem to want now.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM

You could complete the first mission in Blops 1 only fireing 5 bullets. The NPC's did everything for ya. Just saying.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Sometimes it's nice to just switch off and veg-out in front of crap. On Friday nights, I enjoy having a drink and watching some trashy action flick. Why? Because fuck if I want to think about some artsy film with a deep message and poignant story.

I understand where you're coming from but people do want different things from games; not everyone wants a profoundly great game.

I think this surge in mainstream trash has given rise to the indie games since so many people are being turned off AAA games and looking elsewhere for quality. Speculation, maybe, but possibly a good thing to come out of AAA games such as CoD.

Oh and for the record, I enjoyed CoD 1 - 4 (yes, even #3). If the prices for the other CoD games weren't so silly, I'd probably enjoy the others too (I'm not paying £10 for a game that lasts 4 hours).
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
    Banned

I actually really enjoyed CoD 1 and 2. They were lengthy awesome campaigns with a bit of leeway in how you approached objectives. Modern Warfare set an unfortunate precedent of making the singleplayer campaign much shorter and much heavier scripted, not to mention the utterly idiotic plots that make no sense and drag you through tons of boring 4 man special ops missions. I mean, in the Modern Warfare series they had WW3 and you participated in virtually no major battles and focused on chasing some rogue general and a few terrorists down. They didn't even do it in an awesome way like the old Rogue Trooper comics did ;/
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM

While I disagree with your opinion on the first two games, I agree about everything post CoD4.

I really don't know how you like Band of Brothers and then not like the first couple games that included entire scenes from Band of Brothers and other WWII movies. Also, in the second game they actually gave a decent bit of leeway with multiple objectives that could be accomplished in any order.

You mention you liked the Chernobyl mission, but CoD1 and 2 had tons of those style missions (not stealth necessarily but small teams of named characters doing a specific operation). The POW camp raid, the battleship sabotage, the V2 mission, etc.

What makes the Chernobyl mission appealing to you but not the types of missions I listed?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Because the first two games missed the point of the War entirely, they missed the sacrifices people made, they missed the bonds the soldiers made. Instead they glamorized it with massive set piece after mass set piece and there was no character building, there was no sense of advancement or any downtime. They still suffered from all the problems later CoD games had, they're no different other than being first. I didn't like them back then, especially the second which looked liked CoD but with a coat of gloss over everything. No wonder because it still used the Quake 3 engine lol.

If Rockstar or Valve made a WW2 shooter they would be so much better. Those are two studios who care about story and character development, they'd treat the subject matter with some respect. Portal 2 is the best written game of all time IMO, so well done every part of the game and the big twist was genius, I just wish'd they didn't save all the more complex puzzles for the coop.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    Because the first two games missed the point of the War entirely, they missed the sacrifices people made, they missed the bonds the soldiers made. Instead they glamorized it with massive set piece after mass set piece and there was no character building, there was no sense of advancement or any downtime. They still suffered from all the problems later CoD games had, they're no different other than being first. I didn't like them back then, especially the second which looked liked CoD but with a coat of gloss over everything. No wonder because it still used the Quake 3 engine lol.
    Whereas I'd agree to an extent that the story was somewhat forgettable, I think there's a lot to be said about the first few CoD games. Certainly, when you say they missed the point of the war you seem to forget the whole Russian section, where in the very first level you're given just one bullet and no gun and actually do get shot for not going into the fight. Granted the method of statements like this definitely gave away to flashy set pieces in later games, but at the time I think that was certainly eye opening in terms of how some soldiers were treated (remembering the Russians were on the Allies side) and felt a lot more like an actual commentary on war etc - so I would say they definitely started out with good intentions.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM
    Banned

I've done a lot of CoD, The Infinity Ward stuff is tolerable but the Treyarch games are rubbish imo. I finished at MW2 tho. By the time that happened, i really had had enough of Call of Duty.

1,2 and 4MW were good, 3 on the PS was crap, so was 5 both Treyarch, MW2 I stopped playing outa sheer boredom halfway thru.

When it comes to CoD, I'm done.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM

The best Call of trousers was the very first one back in the day on the PC. It was just balls out fun. I really dont know what the hell happend to the series in regards to the Multiplayer aspect of it. I have played all of them so far but the online is just bloody ludicrus..

Have been playing Black op's 2 lately and it's just lunatic online. User operated drones, plane bombing runs, fucking robots you control and take a life time to kill (Not that I've ever killed one, they just dont DIE!), leaping mines, more bombing runs, missile strikes..

All this on a map the size of your living room.

Tis fucking stupid in all honesty.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM

I don't like online FPs games with gimmicky kills, it has to be guns vs guns for me, no grenade launchers, no perks or vehicles or any shit like that.

Basically just give me Counter Strike.