Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Default Research

So how does research work and what skills do I need for it?

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

First you need to decide what you want to reasearch- say you want to invent caldari ships then you need to train up caldari encryption methods to l4 preferably, this will help with invention.
    In order to get LP from an agent you need to have good stangings with that corp and have the corresponding skills trained eg Caldari strship engineering and Mechanical engineering. both those skills are need in order to use 2 types of reasearch agents needed to get the 2 types of cores needed to invent caldari starships.
    The quickest way to see what skills you need are to look at the t1 version BPO and see what skills are needed for invention. If you plan on building what you build then look at the t2 BPC and see what skills are needed to build.

Sorry if this is a bit basic but this is being done off the top of my head- not logged on atm.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM

You're confusing Research, Research agents, and invention there Vart

There are two types of research that can be performed on a BPO - Manufacturing Efficiency (ME), and Production Efficiency (PE). ME research decreases the minerals needed to manufacture from the BPO, and PE research decreases the time it takes to manufacture from it. You need the research skill to do it, and there are various others which can come in handy, but you also need a research slot, either at a station or POS. Research slots in stations always have MASSIVE queues, so you can expect to wait a month or so before research even begins in some places. You can find queues as short as 6-7 days in lowsec though. If you do research in a POS, you not only don't have to wait in a queue, you also get a 25% bonus to research speed. The downside of this is that you need a POS.

You can also copy BPOs, which creates a BPC (blueprint copy) with a limited number of runs. These are useful for selling on contracts, but only if the BPO you used is relatively rare/expensive - if it's easy to get hold of a BPO anyway, people won't bother buying copies.

A related thing is invention, where you use a tech 1 BPO, and various items (such as datacores) to try and create a T2 BPC. This needs advanced skills, only sometimes works (often it will fail, depending on skills), and the resulting BPC will have lower ME and PE than the BPO it was invented from. If you look on contracts you will see many 1-run T2 BPCs, with negative ME/PE - these are the results of invention.

What Vart was talking about is something different. Basically, you can use research agents to create datacores, which can then either be used in invention, or sold. You do need advanced skills, and also good standings with the corp are needed to gain access to their research agents. It can be good passive income though.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Actually it was a bad question in the first place

I did mean Invention. I think I'll look at the skills and add to my long term list. There is just too much to do in this game.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Ahh- you are correct sir! sorry my bad.

Terminator explained it a lot better than my poor hungover brian could have