Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Win

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Default Al'Akir

Hey guys,

Had a thought (Dangerous i know).
    Would it be worthwhile before doing Alakir again maybe practising that 3rd phase out of the actual instance. Even outside the instance on flappys.
    We could practice getting into position, moving down/up and moving away with the lightning debuff.
    Akee could shout the commands and pretend people have the bomb thing.
    Im just thinking as we (I mean mostly me) often fail very fast in that phase we are not getting enough practice.

May be a stupid idea but we need to do something instead of continuosly doing phases 1& 2 for six minutes and 20 seconds on phase 3.

Just a thought

Wyrmy
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM

I would be up for that, there isn't any harm in trying.

Also I noticed that our tactic for the lighting bomb ability is a bit risky on phase 3. Instead of whoever has it runs away from the group, the group should run from them. This will avoid someone in the middle of the group having to run past half of the raid and causing damage.

i7 2600k 4.6Ghz (Corsair H80 Water Cooling)
    8GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz
    Asus P8Z68 V - PRO Motherboard
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning (Factory Overclocked)
    LG 22x DVDRW Generic
    1TB Western Digital 7200RPM 64Mb Cache
    60GB Adata SSD (OS)
    850W Corsair Enthusiast PSU
    Bit Fenix Colossus Case
    Dell 23" LED IPS Monitor
    Razer Black Widow Ultimate / Razer Naga / Razer Megalodon

Add me on Steam

Check out my new Youtube Channel for SC2 Casts and game playthroughs!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Despite phase 3 actually being one of the easier phases Awesome do also like to struggle with it from time to time.

In terms of the lightening bomb thing, it is much easier for the one person to move out than to try and co-ordinate the other 9 to move. Yes, it is a pain having to run through a group of people but getting 9 people to move is much more difficult! I think in Awesome the person moves backwards from the group (ie: away from Al'akir), that's what I do anyway and normally there isn't anyone behind me, just make sure you stay in healing range or close enough to get back into it asap.

Also, make sure peoples graphic settings are turned up as high as they can cope with without lagging/dying. The cloud doesn't form correctly if it isn't leading to people not realising it has spawned (the same with the tornados).

Good luck though, sounds like you are nearly there!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM

Its almost identical to malygos.

Have one marked person to stack on (someone trusted not to get hit by the rising lightning), and when they move, you move. whoever gets lighning rod just moves from the group. if it happens to be your marked man then unlucky, but part of raiding is reactions.

Phase 1 is the hardest part, but once it clicks for the tank (took me 3 or 4 goes when we did it ) itsnot so bad.

Just my 2cents, feel free to ignore and GL!

Foosfighting 12/11/2010
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Yeah, it's very similar to Malygos, Uru. I think that's the problem :P

We typically breeze through p1 with no problems, and our phase 2 is getting better - Feedback stacks are the thing most likely to screw us there, if the hunters are doing it right then the healers are usually up to the task. I personally don't get why anyone would say that phase 3 isn't the hardest, but I suppose its different for each group.

We generally mark Goffik, but despite his good positioning we tend to lose at least one person on the transition (flying directly into the cloud at the bottom), and another few to panicking, flying too low or too high. I usually die from wind burst or getting lightning rod on me, in other words, to healable damage, which suggests to me that I spend most of my time alive on p3 out of range of the healers, cos I spend so much mental effort making sure I'm at the right height that I ignore my position relative to the boss and the rest of the raid.. Like Wyrmy says, we could do with more practice on that phase, and getting into it smoothly and then losing 80% of the raid within 20-30 seconds isn't benefiting us and is just frustrating.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM

i also agree that p3 is a pain in the backside, at least malygos had that aces high thnig to learn the mechanic. afaik there is no such quest for al akir.
    This ^^
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM

I am starting to dislike this guy, I know strong words.

I suggest we concentrate on one shotting BoT so people can get T11 shoulders and Neff until 4.2. When Firelands hits it looks like a few weeks of dailies before the raid can be opened so we can go back to him after the nerf'ing.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012

Last edited by Bimble; 06-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.