Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft

#1   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Default UK PCG Server - Is it dead?

I'm pretty sure many of us uk minecraft people would like to know what (if anything) is happening to the PCG UK minecraft server. If its gone please say so and stop printing the IP in the magazine. i realise you're all busy high flying media types with those deadlines and the what not making running a server and all the updates it requires a time consuming afair, but im sure there are members of the community you could delegate things to. The US people seem to manage it some how.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM

I agree. This really isn't the way to treat your customers. A wall of silence is never helpful.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    I agree. This really isn't the way to treat your customers. A wall of silence is never helpful.
    Especially if itís a load bearing wall!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 PM

xposted from the UK forum:

Guys,

Apologies for not noting this sooner: I've been in and out of the country so often that I've not even played Minecraft since the last year.

A quick breakdown of the problem - we can't actually get at our server. We have a bank of Multiplay servers, each running different games. To do the things I (apparently) need to do to the Minecraft server, I need to be able to stop, restart, and start it. At the moment, I can't even do that.

I've put this issue to Multiplay a few times now. The latest I received back was that they'd need to push the server to a new IP, but hoped to be able to save the files. This hasn't yet come to fruition - our server is still showing 1.1 and is completely borked. In my last contact with Multiplay, they said they needed to move our profile to an SSD, and they'd be supporting Bukkit when plugins worked properly.

I've been able to intermittently try various things to get this issue resolved, but my time is so severely limited at the moment that - as you've seen - I've not been able to sort it out properly. My server-running knowledge is also very minimal: so waawaamp, my silence in the face of your request for maps was born entirely out of not knowing how I'd get them to you, then subsequent other concerns that had to yank my attention away.

BUT! I've now asked Ed in the office to look into fixing the problem. It might necessitate a change of IP - if so, we'll announce it here as soon as possible. He'll be kicking about the forum shortly to try and sort things out.

Apologies again for the delay, guys.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Hmm, I'm really disappointed. I've just purchased Minecraft after trying the excellent demo version on the recent PC Gamer DVD. Having read the mag, I was expecting to be able to join an active on-line community once I'd parted with my money. Now I find that the server has been out of action for months, and all the info in the mag is way out-of-date and misleading. Someone should update it ASAP. :-(
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiph View Post
    Hmm, I'm really disappointed. I've just purchased Minecraft after trying the excellent demo version on the recent PC Gamer DVD. Having read the mag, I was expecting to be able to join an active on-line community once I'd parted with my money. Now I find that the server has been out of action for months, and all the info in the mag is way out-of-date and misleading. Someone should update it ASAP. :-(
    Not true, the server is having problems which they are trying to sort out, it's been on for months with 'occational' days where it has been off line.

Normally it gets sorted pretty soon when it goes down, but its E3 week and all the PCG staff are rather busy.

Hopfully it will be back up soon
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernalk View Post
    This may be a little heretical... but the US server's nice... they're friendly folks for the most part and totally don't mind international types using their server. It's the only one I play on having only been able to connect to the UK server once and then immediately falling down a deep hole.
    Thanks for the tip. I might try jumping the pond then!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiothax View Post
    Not true, the server is having problems which they are trying to sort out, it's been on for months with 'occational' days where it has been off line.

Normally it gets sorted pretty soon when it goes down, but its E3 week and all the PCG staff are rather busy.

Hopfully it will be back up soon
    Ah, ok. All the posts I read on the forum referred to the UK server being down and no-one knowing when it would be back. I didn't appear that it had any up-time. I'll keep an eye out for it on a regular basis. In the meantime, I'll probably try kernalk's suggestion above. Thanks!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM

This may be a little heretical... but the US server's nice... they're friendly folks for the most part and totally don't mind international types using their server. It's the only one I play on having only been able to connect to the UK server once and then immediately falling down a deep hole.