Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Raiding Noob

Hi,

After a year of casual play I have finally reached the heights of level 80 (if only for a few weeks before the grind to 85 starts). I have spent the last couple of weeks doing level 80 instances to get my healing skills up to a good level. I was wondering what advice you kind people could give me in terms of how to get started/prepared to join a raiding group.

What sort of kit "level" do I need? And what do people thing are the best guides to raid instances (cos you gotta learn where you're likely to bugger it all up and get yelled at

Thanks in Advance

TeabagSalad
    AKA Kayal
    AKA Ian
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Hi,

It really depends what type of raiding you are looking to do. If you are looking for casual raiding then your gear level can be slightly lower with low level gems and enchants but if you are seriously looking at raiding the tough content then you need the best items you can get outside of the raid (mainly, the odd bit of missing gear isn't too much of an issue for a beginner) with full gems and enchants.

My advice right now would be to wait three weeks for Cata. Everyone (even those with ICC 10/25 man HC gear) will be replacing gear with quest rewards and such. So putting too much effort in right now may feel like a waste later on, or you may benefit from the experience of raiding places such as Naxx. I would continue to do 5 man Heroics and pick up what gear you can and try out the odd raid if you can, just for the experience.

To be taken seriously in a raid (guild or pug) I would suggest that your gear is heading towards the best you can get from HC 5 man instances, especially Forge of souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of reflection at the moment. Gems and enchants are also a must if you really want to get into raiding.

In terms of tactics, I normally point people in the direction of tankspot. They have videos and written commentaries on most bosses which you need to know, there are plenty of other sites out there as well. You tube is an obvious place to start but unless they are 'professionals' the commentary on tactics can be a bit rubbish.

Hope that helps a little!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM

What class/spec are you playing?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darieth View Post
    What class/spec are you playing?
    Should have probably said that...I am playing a priest with a discipline talent spec. [URL="http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Steamwheedle+Cartel&cn=Kayal"]Linky![/URL]

Cheers - Ian
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aphaeas View Post
    <snip loads of good advice>

Hope that helps a little!
    More than a little! Thanks very much!

Regards,

Ian
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Firstly, don't be afraid to raid.
    I was a noob raider until I joined PCG. Now I can't get enough of raiding
    As Aphaeas has given you some advice, I'll just add - be open to feedback. All raids I've been involved with have had good raid leaders. If you listen (make sure to get Vent up and running, you don't have to get a mic, just listen) to the RL and say that you are new, then they will take this into consideration with what tactics they will decide on and describe.
    Also, these boards have a fount of wisdom from all members. I've learnt a lot from keeping up to date with these forums.
    If you have any questions, then just shout. That goes for on these boards and in-game.
    Raids look and are confusing and seem hard to get into at first. But they really add to the game. Enjoy the experience

Oh yeah. It's actually not a bad time to start thinking about raiding. Once Cata hits very soon, we will all be starting from the same point of needing to gear up and learn new raids. An excellent time to get in at the start.

Last edited by Zalid; 11-18-2010 at 05:28 PM.