Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Guide for Upgrading SLI video cards?

Hey all. I bought a custom PC from a boutique manufacturer about a year and a half ago. I'm loving it, and it still performs great, no complaints at all. Still I am considering POSSIBLY doing an upgrade.

The system currently has two GTX 570s in SLI. I am considering an upgrade to SLI 670s because I'm starting to hit a VRAM bottleneck on some games. My question is how easy is this to do myself? I have the option to send the machine back to the builder for any upgrades, but would rather not ship this thing back across the US. I have no real experience building machines, but I'm competent enough. Is there a good guide for this sort of thing anywhere?

Also, what other upgrades might I need with 670s in SLI? My other system specs are an 800W Corsair power supply, and an ASUS Sabertooth P67 (B3 Rev) motherboard. CPU is 2600k i7, so I'm not concerned about that, but would this motherboard be compatible with the 670s? And is the PSU enough juice for 670s? I read they were lower power than the 500 series.

Thanks for any input.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM

it should be fine with the upgrade and changing a graphics card is about as easy as it gets, but I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade going from 570's to 670's.

if you are seeing massive problems in a game (the 570 should really be enough unless your running loads of screens or really high res) your best bet is to try disabling the SLi as SLi and crossfire has been known to cause problems with certain games making them run worse than they would with one card.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 PM

I would at least wait ti next gen at this point.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile