Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Default DVD Drive Not Compatible with Windows 8 - According to Amazon Reviewers

Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Asus-DVD-ROM-Internal-Blu-Ray-BC-12B1ST/dp/B004SUO068/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/url]

Okay, completely forget about the Blu-Ray part of this. I don't care about the Blu-Ray software. I know that you have to find either licensed software or free online software which may or may not work.

But here's the real issue I'm having. I have read that this drive is not compatible with Windows 8. I went to my local PC shop and they said that it should work fine... They said that it was plug-and-play and that I shouldn't need software or an update for Windows 8. Now, I'm talking about DVD/CD drive here. I don't even care about Blu-Ray.

Do you guys know anything about this thing's compatibility with Windows 8? What should I do?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM

the DVD CD part will work with anything

it's the BD functionality which isn't yet supported on windows 8

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

it will work, just windows doesn't have direct support for BD because Microsoft didn't want to admit it was the better format after they backed HD-DVD.

expect support for BD to come later in the year since the next Xbox is meant to have a bluray drive, due tot he 360 being heavily criticized for only having a DVD drive.

ideally for windows you need something like power DVD to play bluray movies (it normally comes free with most bluray drives because of this)