Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#41   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arobein View Post
    So.... um.... are you saying... Bigfoot real?!
    What is real Neo?
      #42   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    Well there's actually a school of thought along those lines- any suitably technologically advanced society will develop computer models. Eventually they'll develop models that are sophisticated enough to model the entire universe and will be indistinguishable from realit for those within it.

On e they can run one they'll be able to run hundreds to evaluate different scenarios. Therefore, if these models are possible, which it seems likely, then it is far more likely that we are actually living within a model than the real universe....
    Thanks for that mindfuck spats...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) View Post
    What is real Neo?
    That seems to fit really well with your avatar for some reason.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #43   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM

You're welcome. They're actually trying to figure out how to test for it!! Apparently there Re mathematical 'shortcuts' from the programming that should be visible as oddities in the physical laws....

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #44   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    You're welcome. They're actually trying to figure out how to test for it!! Apparently there Re mathematical 'shortcuts' from the programming that should be visible as oddities in the physical laws....
    that's kinda ridiculous, like seti listening for alien radio transmissions.

too many assumptions based on our very limited understanding of life, the universe and everything.

I still say that we simply cannot guess what is out there based on our experience of living on earth, we just have too little to go on, our planet and the life on it might seem wonderfully diverse but in reality it's a minute speck of nothingness floating in an infinte sea, and with our narrow field of experience we simply can't even begin to imagine, we tend to focus on what we know and we know so very little.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #45   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post

too many assumptions based on our very limited understanding of life, the universe and everything.

I still say that we simply cannot guess what is out there based on our experience of living on earth, we just have too little to go on, our planet and the life on it might seem wonderfully diverse but in reality it's a minute speck of nothingness floating in an infinte sea, and with our narrow field of experience we simply can't even begin to imagine, we tend to focus on what we know and we know so very little.
    Well it is all we have to go on so we don't really have much choice. Plus it gives the human race something to do which is kind of important. I would rather we spent millions on getting into space than finding new ways to kill each other, although the two do kind of overlap
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #46   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Well it is all we have to go on so we don't really have much choice. Plus it gives the human race something to do which is kind of important. I would rather we spent millions on getting into space than finding new ways to kill each other, although the two do kind of overlap
    I'm not saying we shouldn't go into space, but it might be better and help our understanding of things if we could do it without too many preconceptions.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

#47   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 PM

I agree an disagree liz. Ultimately you're right, but as Daniel points out, we only have one point of reference: life in earth. Therefore, whether we like it it not, we will be skewed by that.

If and when we encounter different life, it should and will change.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #48   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I know right! I mean everyone knows that any intelligent life out there will be using subspace relays to communicate.
      #49   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    I know right! I mean everyone knows that any intelligent life out there will be using subspace relays to communicate.
    who knows what they would be using, but whatever it is seti hasn't found it.

whatever technology they may or may not be using I think that it's highly unlikely to resemble ours.

I think the universe is in all probability full of all sorts of life but unless we find a way to travel beyond our own star system we'll never know about it (unless of course we find it closer to home) and to be honest I think the chances of humans ever developing interstellar flight are situated somewhere between slim and nil, I think there's a far greater possibility of us annihilating eachother before we ever find out.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

#50   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
    Banned

There's also the 'now' . The universe may be teeming with life but at what time and place.
    We hear that if the life of the earth was a year then we've been here for only the last second of december. We've probably only been broadcasting radio waves for 1000'th of that time.

So it's not only the vastness of space we have to contend with, but the vastness of time. What are the likelyhoods that an advanced civilization pops up in the same last 1000th of a second in december as we have?

If it did exist it would have to be of a similar level of development to ours to become friends or enemies with.

coz if we met a civilization that had been around since the 23rd second of 23'rd minute of the 23rd day of November....well who knows