Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM

Question Old PC Gamer Demos

Hi,

New here so didn't know where to post this.

Could someone help me out? I am looking for a particular game that I played as a demo from a PC Gamer disk years ago (possibly in 1999 or 2000) I don't remember much but I think it was on a CD that had mechwarrior 2 demo on it as well. The game I remember had:

a snowy landscape that was I think hilly with things that looked like large crystals dotted about. You drove a vehicale of some sort and drove into "portals" that looked like star gates in stargate SG1 or something. I remember a part to do with scientists and you had to pick them up in your vehicale or something, but I don't remember more than this.

Also could someone tell me what game demos came on the CD with september 2000 PC Gamer? That might help shed light on what this game was not sure, but there is a few old games I am looking for that I played as demos on PC Gamer CDs

Any help would be appreciated
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
    Banned

UK or US PCG?
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM

This might not be the game your looking for but your description reminded me of a game called Vangers which i think was released about then.

Here's a link to a you tube video of it:
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmROCVn0x6k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmROCVn0x6k&feature=related[/URL]

Hope this is of some hep to you.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 AM

The games on the CD are:

Star Trek Deep Space 9: The Fallen
    PC Gamer Presents: They Hunger 2 (Half-Life mod)
    MDK 2
    Star Trek: Armada
    Mind Rover
    Weapons Factory Arena (Quake 3 mod)
    Red Faction Movie (trailer)
    Pool of Radiance Movie (trailer)

I got this from the magazine (I'm not sure if the actual CD made it on the journey of our recent move). No Mechwarrior on this CD. There are illustrations for all of these demos and none of them match your description. I'll look at other issues around this date and get back with you if I find anything...
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 AM

I'm also looking for an old game that I can't remember the name of and am not sure even actually exists. It's from the mid 90's I believe and I'm pretty sure I got the demo from a PC gamer demo Disc but then again the lack of info I'm finding on it leads me to believe that I'm crazy and it never existed in the first place.

Well, from what I can recall about this game, it was Like Hooligans and other RTS games that were coming out that decade, where you took control of a gang (Not Mafia Related Gang mind you, more like the Bloods and the Crips type gangs) and you were tasked with taking out the rival gangs in the city by extorting money from businesses, people, robbing people, and then using that money to go buy weapons and then in turn go and kill the other rival gangs. And, this is one of the key things I remember sticking out, you were the "Yellow" gang, so all your people wore various yellow clothes. I don't remember if you could pick you clothes color or not, I just remember the gang I was being yellow.......

I'm pretty sure it's from '93-'96 but again I'm not sure this game is even real any more. It's possible that it had a demo and then never was actually published... it's happened to games before.

EDIT: Oh, and it was from the US PCG
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lil_shawn_ View Post
    I'm also looking for an old game that I can't remember the name of and am not sure even actually exists. It's from the mid 90's I believe and I'm pretty sure I got the demo from a PC gamer demo Disc but then again the lack of info I'm finding on it leads me to believe that I'm crazy and it never existed in the first place.

Well, from what I can recall about this game, it was Like Hooligans and other RTS games that were coming out that decade, where you took control of a gang (Not Mafia Related Gang mind you, more like the Bloods and the Crips type gangs) and you were tasked with taking out the rival gangs in the city by extorting money from businesses, people, robbing people, and then using that money to go buy weapons and then in turn go and kill the other rival gangs. And, this is one of the key things I remember sticking out, you were the "Yellow" gang, so all your people wore various yellow clothes. I don't remember if you could pick you clothes color or not, I just remember the gang I was being yellow.......

I'm pretty sure it's from '93-'96 but again I'm not sure this game is even real any more. It's possible that it had a demo and then never was actually published... it's happened to games before.

im also looking for the name of said game even if just a demo but i believe it was more late 90s early 00s

Last edited by blueshifter; 09-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lil_shawn_ View Post

It's not Mob Rule is it? [url]http://www.gog.com/gamecard/mob_rule[/url]
    Failing that, it *could* possibly be the original Gangsters: Organised Crime (can't find a link with screenshots off hand, google it )

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ctrlphr34k View Post
    It's not Mob Rule is it? [url]http://www.gog.com/gamecard/mob_rule[/url]
    Failing that, it *could* possibly be the original Gangsters: Organised Crime (can't find a link with screenshots off hand, google it )
    no its all urban gangs. modern time(at that time) looked like a swat 3 type game. Err not swat 3 swat 2... The overhead city block one where the roof would disappear as you went in the houses.

Last edited by blueshifter; 09-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Unhappy Please help me find this game!

Alright, so, Ive been looking for this game for like 1 month now and im about to cry!
    I first got the demo from a pc gamer magazine! its a game from like 1995-2000 where you are a blue character, you start in a small cute house on a small island, and then you explore the rest of the island while gathering food (i think) and wood, to build a boat or bridge to be able to get to the next island... and also find more blue friends! (i think! lol) fight enemies and reach "the goal" in every scenario... Been looking for ages and asked Everyone basically!
    Please help me find it :<
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Default My last hope

Hey, I cannot remember the title of a demo on disc I played a long time ago, possibly around 2000 or so, but it was a Point and Click demo where I'm reasonably sure you are a dog, in a bar. Very brownish palette, and the events of the demo had you going into the alleyway outside of the bar and looking in a trash can for a Bottle that you can pick up. As I said I cannot recall the title but have been looking for it tirelessly. The associated keywords are Dog - Bar - Bottle - Booze - Point and Click.

Please help!