Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Rogues in 3.3.3

So here Me, Ross, Zaev, Surprise, and anyone else that can drop in useful tips, hints, tricks and Idea's for the current content (patch 3.3.3).

Its late and im just posting a small thing, but yeah its somin, everyone else can do the work.

So combat rogues, I'm your man, been playing it a long time and i know my stuff (axes, fists and swords please!), Everyone else seems to be assination, the dagger types spec so go to them, but saying this i did play it for a while and i know a thing or two.

Need any points cleared drop me somin in-game, pm on the forums, or bug me in guild chat, i normally respond.

And i promise to post a reply to this, with a full listing of everything i know, once i get the time to type for 4 hours and aren't tired.

Lev

<insert information to make post useful here>

Last edited by leviethan; 06-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 AM

This is my edited version of Rossferatus' guide from the previous forums.
    First things first

• Get your level 80 skills trained.
    • Spend your last talent point or re-spec (see talents below).
    • You need to get exalted with the Ebon Blade for your head enchant and the Sons of Hodir for your Shoulder enchant.
    • GET YOURSELF A SPREADSHEET!! [url]http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t39136-combat_mutilate_spreadsheets_updated_3_3_a/[/url]

Combat spec

[url]http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhg00tLZMgV0ocxqru0xRt:hkN[/url]

Glyphs: Sinister Strike, Eviscerate, Killing Spree.

Combat spec is generally what most experts will tell you to spec. It is generally about 100-200 dps less than mutilate on straight up tank&spank fights but thanks to the cooldowns the spec brings, with any fights that requires you to damage adds, or general burst damage it excels. With combat spec you should use axes swords or fist weapons. Maces and to a lesser extent daggers are also viable but due to a lack of proper stats are largely ignored in ICC. You want a slow mainhand and a fast off hand, preferably of the same type. With instant poison on the main hand and deadly on the off. The playstyle is very simple; start off with a low-point Slice & Dice, then spam 5-point Eviscerates to your hearts content. Refresh Slice & Dice with whatever combo points are available when it’s about to expire. There is also the option to incorporate a rupture rotation. In that case keep your S&D up aswell as a 4+ rupture and with any spare energy use Evicerate.

Mutilate spec

[url]http://www.wowhead.com/talent#f0ec0egoVboIuVo0xV0xcZb:TIp[/url]

Glyphs: Mutilate, Hunger for Blood, Tricks of the Trade.

With this spec you'll be focusing soley on daggers. With Mutu you need to open with a bleed opener from stealth with Garrote. You then continue with hunger for blood and open up slice and dice. Then you get to 4+ combo points and envenom to refresh S&D. You keep this going the whole way through the fight every minute refreshing hunger for blood. You need a fast off hand and either a slow or another fast off hand, Again like combat you use instant on the main hand and deadly on the off.

Subtlety spec

Nope.

Gems

WIth gems the best option is to consult your spreadsheet. The first thing you need to do is cover your bases. 1. Reach the hit cap for special (yellow) attacks, then the hit cap for poison (magic) attacks. If you have Precision (you should have Precision), this requires 315 rating.
    2. Cap your expertise. As you are only concerned about dodge, this requires 26 expertise or 214 rating. Weapon Expertise reduces this by 10 (82 rating), Orc and Dwarf racials reduce it by 5 (41 rating), and the Human racial reduces it by 3 (25 rating).

When these two vital stats are covered you then focus on your spec. Again consult your spreadsheet but in general for combat your meta is the Relentless Earthsiege diamond and then fill everything else with Fractured Cardinal Rubies. Save one slot for the nightmare tear.

For Mutilate its a bit more complicated and really needs spreadsheet consultation. In general you should fill red and blue slots with Bright Cardinal rubies and yellow slots with quick king's ambers. Again save one slot for the nightmare tear.

Enchants

Weapon: Beserking in both hands, it starts off simple but expensive.
    Head: Arcanum of Torment from Ebon Blade revered.
    Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Axe from Sons of Hodir exalted.
    Gloves: Crusher if you're not an engineer, or Hyperspeed Accelerators if you are!
    Chest: Powerful Stats.
    Cloak: For Mutilate and potentially Combat, 23 Haste, consult a spreadsheet to be sure. The other option is Major Agility.
    Bracers: Greater Assault, or the leatherworking one.
    Legs: Icescale Leg Armor.
    Boots: Icewalker for muti rogues who spec in Fleet Footed (speed increase) But if you're combat or havn't specced the speed increase, runspeed is often more valuable than actual stats, so Cat’s Swiftness (or Tuskarr’s Vitality if you can't be assed to farm or buy the Primal Air) is your enchant of choice Engineers may opt for Nitro Boosts if they feel a 5 second sprint on a 3 minute CD is better than passive runspeed; it also offers 24 crit rating.
    Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle allows you to ram an extra red gem in your belt.

Good Links

[url]http://elitistjerks.com/f78/[/url]

If you're confident in the basics take a look on this forum. It has the most heavily discussed rogue topics and has the best of the best discussing them. WARNING: Maths!

[url]http://www.shadowpanther.net/[/url]
    Stat-heavy Rogue site – the PVE item lists are particularly useful for working out if a new item is an upgrade or not.

[url]http://www.shadowpanther.net/pvespecs.htm[/url]
    Good selection of talent specs.

[url]http://www.wowwiki.com/Hit_rating#Calculating_miss_rate[/url]
    Explanation of Hit Rating. Snore.

[url]http://www.tankspot.com/[/url]
    Good explanations of boss fights.

Gearing up a rogue at 80

Helm: Hood of Lethal Intent (Triumph emblems)
    Neck: Barbed Ymirheim Choker (Forgemaster Garfrost, heroic Pit of Saron). If you're particularly rich, Wodin's Lucky Necklace.
    Shoulders: Garona's Pauldrons of Conquest (if mutilate; Triumph emblems), Duststalker Pauldrons (if combat; Triumph emblems)
    Back: Hammerhead Sharkskin Cloak (Valor emblems) or Accursed Crawling Cape (Devourer of Souls, normal Forge of Souls)
    Chest: Knightbane Carapace (both specs; crafted). Otherwise, Garona's Breastplate of Conquest (if mutilate; Triumph emblems) or Choking Hauberk (if combat; Marwyn, heroic Halls of reflection
    Wrist: Bracers of Swift Death (both specs; crafted). Otherwise, Chewed Leather Wristguards (both specs; Ick, heroic Pit of Saron)
    Gloves: Garona's Gauntlets of Conquest (both specs; Triumph emblems)
    Belt: Belt of the Twilight Assassin (both specs; Conquest emblems (downgrade Triumph))
    Legs: Fleshwerk Leggings (if mutilate; Tyrannus, heroic Pit of Saron). Garona's Legplates of Conquest are a combat option, but likely a downgrade; the hit is mostly wasted.
    Boots: Blighted Leather Footpads (both specs; Escape Gauntlet, heroic Halls of Reflection[/url]
    Rings: Dexterous Brightstone Ring (Triumph emblems), Band of Stained Souls (Tyrannus, heroic Pit of Saron)
    Trinkets: Darkmoon Card: Greatness, Banner of Victory, and Mirror of Truth are all pretty damn close for both specs. Mark of Supremacy is fairly close to all three as well for Mutilate, even if already hit capped, but isn't quite as good for Combat. If Combat, one trinket should be Needle-Encrusted Scorpion.
    Ranged: Crimson Star (both specs; Triumph emblems)
    Weapons: For mutilate, Blood Weeper (Devourer of Souls, heroic Forge of Souls) and Unsharpened Ice Razor (ICC5 heroic trash drop).
    For combat, best is Nighttime (Bronjahm, heroic Forge of Souls) and Liar's Tongue (Escape Gauntlet, heroic Halls of Reflection). Other options are Black Icicle (Escape Gauntlet, heroic Halls of Reflection) or Seven-Fingered Claws (ICC5 heroic trash drop)

PVP

All of this stuff is available before the Arena although I do recommend starting the arena with any gear if you can find a partner because if you even partake in 10 matches you'll get some arena points.

Your spec and Glyphs should look something like this: [url]http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fhecocToirs0uZ0bZebfbh0db:TrG[/url]

Ok so Gear, first off if you don't have the Medallion of the Horde trinket, get it. It should be your first purchase as it nets you a ton of Resi and breaking out of roots is a must. You'll need to save though as it comes somewhere in the region of 68k honour.

The furious gear is the next thing on your agenda to help you get a bit of all around resi and tier rewards. This includes the Helm,Chest,Leggings and Gloves, all bought from either honour or Triumph badges.

The reason we leave out the shoulders is because the ones you get from Wintergrasp, the Titan-Forged ones for 40 WG tokens are actually better and with a 4 set bonus you are free to get another piece from somewhere else.

Blood Weeper and Unsharpened Ice Razor both daggers from ICC 5 man are perfectly fine weapons if you can't raid with us. Beserking goes on the MH and Titansteel Weapon Chain goes on the OH. If like me you also do raiding, putting Beserking on both weapons isn't the worst thing in the world.

Your Belt, Boots and First ring should all be Relentless. (Note if you have an Ashen Verdict Ring, use this instead of the Relentless one)

The Cloak,Neck Wrist and second Ring are where rogues pick up their small amount of hit % needed, so go for the Wrathful set all available through honour. Put the Shadow armour enchant on your cloak.

Gemming is very simple, just use The Relentless Earthsiege diamond as your meta, and one Nightmare tear. Then everything else should be Bright Cardinal Rubies.

Wrathful gloves and Leggings can both be obtained from VoA so i'd recommend doing that as early as possible. Once you have enough Arena points to spend on gear (Or you want to use Frost Badgers) the gloves should be your first priority because of the equip bonus knocking 10 energy off Kick.

Last edited by Zael; 06-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Well Zaev has more or less cleared that in and out, sorry i havn't got the chance to post a full thing, just been a bit meh these days, but yeah Zaev has cleared it up more or less.

Lev
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Althought one thing as you said about muti rogues getting a small chunk more dps the Combat rogues, such as myself, bear in mind without us, you would loose DPS due to our +4% physical damage dealt to the target debuff! so be Thankful!
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Not to burst your bubble Lev, but no we wouldn't. We have warriors using blood frenzy which gives the same benefit and they don't stack.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Only arms warriors bring that buff. We don't have many of those really. If you are a pro raider you take both assa and combat, and spec into whever will mean to raid overall has more dps.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Is subtelty of any use? i've got my rogue up to 40ish and transferred over to SWC, havent really played him in a long whilst but liked the stealthy steathly! if its no viability whatsover (PVP?) then i'll probably go mutilate again as main, combat off.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM

i always found combat an awesome spec. swords was a winner every time in PvE. great for lvling also

subtly is more pvp i would of thought. mind u i havent played my rogue since BWL raiding
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM

two things

Zaev can you just tell me why you put icewalker ahead of say attack power on boots if you have fleet footed?

And also if your speccing for pvp arena you dont need the preperation glyph imo as it resets between battles
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Yeh and a Sub spec is a pvp spec if anything, and its all about position really since most the time you gota be behind em to deal your main damage (ambush, back stab etc) but it does have some nice CDs, like shadowstep (instant teleport behind someone, quite funny sometimes) and shadowdance(You can use any of your abilities you normally need stealth for, without stealth, so ambush, cheap shot pickpocket etc), but its not the spec for me really, to complex. Also on a side note, i don't use preparation that much anyway, might respec and not take it, i'll see. Side note Mk.2 Well um speed increase so you can move and stay alive and Darieth will normally shout at us for not having it. (I see the point but really in truth dont think its that great, only 6% speed increase or something, plus 120hp, and you just cloak or vanish from damage most the time, oh well).

Lev