Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Company of Heros Online

Calling any Wehrmacht call signs!

Does anyone know if there is a Company of Heros Online group here abouts? It's a fantastic and free game so I hope so!

I've been messing around with it (far to much) over the last week and am now hunting for some Wehrmacht commanders to team up with and make a good multiplayer team.

Hope to hear from someone!

Game iD: Kampfgruppe:

Company Commander name: Panzerschreck

Out

Last edited by Kampfgruppe Steiner; 09-11-2010 at 11:08 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Im Godl1keStev3 in it (i think).

I might have a bash, see if I can play it any better now than I did then.

Sorry about the derail, btw. Im becoming too opinionated in my old age :P

Last edited by Godl1keStev3; 09-15-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Off topic chuntering
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Well your two cents aside, COH is an excellent game, one of the finest the PC has. However COH online concerns me a bit because I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, this is about micro payments?

The thing is I've already made my macro payments. In fact I've had to buy it twice because of what Relic did to it already. I bought CoH on release for full whack. Then I bought the expansion for full whack, but now those disks are useless because they completely rebuilt the game and I kid you not, installing the game from those originals takes a whole day! It constantly downloads 137 mb patches and there are literally dozens of them. Halfway thru the patching process Relic decide to include a bittorrent client to get the rest of the patches. Needless to say this doesn't work, nobody uses it, there are no seeds for the patches. So you have to go to a secret site to get the remaing files and when it's finally patched up, it doesn't work anyway! This is a known issue and essentially Relic have turned my copies of the original games into coasters.

But I love the game so much I bought a second set from Steam reasoning Valve would keep it up to date, and they do. However I paid quite a whack for them too and only after the longest time did I manage to get Tales of Valour in a sale. So as far as I can see I've already gone above and beyond the call of duty on this. I'm not one of these people that believe developers owe them something. Relic make products that I buy and for the most I'm happy. I bought both the Homeworlds, I got all the DoW's bar Soulstorm, I got both DoW II and Chaos Rising so I've done my part - Relic have used my money to become such a successful RTS developer that they can now give my games away for free. IT's sorta like piracy in reverse. The developer is pirating it's legitimate customer. It'd be nice if Relic would accept the CD keys of those who already own the game to get the micro payment stuff from the offing.

I've already played the game to death and I'm not gonna be paying Relic a third time to hear that engineer yell "Hammers and nails ladies, hammers and nails."

But to the OP, I'm sure there'll be a lot of PCG'ers who will play this so hang around and see what happens.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM

I think they stated that micro-payments was totally optional, ie, someone who pays wont be better off than someone who doesnt (although how that works I have no idea).

Yeah, give it some time Stiener. Took us a while to get a group together on SC2 too, and Im pretty sure there will be more than a few about

Last edited by Godl1keStev3; 09-15-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: More off topic babble
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM

I think this thread has gone about of topic to be honest folks but in answer to your posts.....

I never bought or played the orginal releases so more than likely I'm getting more enjoyment out of it than some of you veterans. However points in its favour....

1. It's free. You don't pay a cent or a penny for it. For that you get the orginal Company of heros online campaign and multiplayer support.

The game is on open beta right now so micro transactions aren't yet in but you don't actually need to pay any money at all to play.

By playing your company commander gets xp in the form of support points and also unlocks items. If you win a match you get more. You also get support points and unlocks by playing the single player american Normandy campaign, the tutorials, the computer AI in practice games and in pvp.

For me I've enjoyed lvling my commnader, I've been learning the pros and cons of the game and have enjoyed the multiplayer fights. Some mind call in a bit of a grind but then so is WOW. If you enjoy player v player its fine. Certinally more fun and cheaper for me then spending £29.99 to by The Dawn of war expansion on Steam.

When the game goes live you will be able to pay real money for support points and unlocks if you choose. In my experience so far playing someone with unlocks you don't have isn't game breaking. If they are a worse commander than you chances are you will still win. The chance to get a new shiny toy every few battles is still kind of addictive in a RTS, and though not a fan of grind in mmos I can enjoy it in a free game for a few hours every week.

I know the series is a few years old now but it still looks good on my Rigg in 3D. Most RTS games have limitations, like most games you need to work out the do's and don't to win. To be honest for a free game that has been called the best in the genre in the past I can't see it being anything other than a great deal. If it attracts more players to it and provides more pvp oppenants that must be a good thing right?

Any one wanting to form a PC gamer team the offer still stands!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 AM

I'd be up for it.
    CoHOnline is pretty awesome. Considering the amount of content for a free game. The Campaign plus Online makes it all the worthwhile download if you enjoy RTS and don't have CoH Retail.

Game ID/Commander Name: ivr56
    Commander Specialty: Blitz
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 AM

yeah I'm just saying that as I've bought the whole series twice for full price....I would appreciate it if they recognize this and give me all the unlocks as a thanks for providing the cash so they can give away this ' free' game.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 AM

So what your asking is basically goes like.
    THQ: "Thanks for buying and registering your Company of Heroes game! Here as a gift of our appreciation. Every unlock has been added to your account once you start up Company of Heroes Online so you have a VERY unfair advantage over everyone else!"
    Just No
    I don't mind say a Bonus Item Pack (Not every unlock but a select few and Supply bonus) but sure as hell not every unlock off the bat.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Why not again? I could buy those unlocks with my micro transactions and have the same advantage over the free loaders yeah?

But I've already spent something like 100 quid on the game. Like I said, this is like piracy in reverse, Relic are pirating the game off the people who paid for it.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Yes the same advantage but you would be buying the unlocks. Getting them for free is different since you didn't spend anything nor work to get them while we worked our butts off and spent Supply to get them. Its not like Relic is shutting down CoH Retail online.

On Reverse Piracy:
    We can then say the same about Dungeons n Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea Online, Portal during the Mac Release. All those were retail and funded by retail sales/subscriptions now are or were free to play/download for a period of time. Subs have their benefits in those MMOs so does CoH Retail compared to CoHO. You getting a better balanced and modifiable game with no worries about people with big wallets=more advantage.

CoH has been out since 2006. Its 2010. If they made a F2P version 1 year or so after release thats one thing but its been 4 years. Relic is simply expanding CoH's name to new markets. Giving more players access to the game to gather interest and hopefully those people will either (A: Buy CoH and Expansions or B: Spend money on the in game store).

Last edited by ivr56; 09-18-2010 at 01:11 AM.