Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Gallente or Minmatar?

You guys can only recruit these two [for now], so my question is which would you recommend for a nooby?

I am aware that minmatars are predominantly the projectile ships and are also quite fast and good armor tankers. Are they harder to master? [I am aware they have the best all-rounder frigate in the form of the rifter].

I know that gallentes are primarily drone ships? Is drone flying hard/A niche skill? I have only got experience flying Amarr ships.

What do you 'need' so to speak to be part of your fleets...
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM

I think we can recruit anyone. Bimble will know though as he set up the corp, and it would only be because he hasn't trained certain skills. If you're thinking that it's because of the space we're in, then that has nothing to do with it. The only reason you couldn't join as a Caldari or Amarr (or even Gallente) would be if your standings were below -5.0, which is unlikely unless you've been running missions for an opposing faction for ages or you were in Factional Warfare.

If you do want to go either Gallente or Minmatar then you're assumptions were pretty much correct. Gallente are drone based, and mostly armor tank. Drone's aren't that difficult to get used to. You target something, hit engage and they go fight it. Minmatar are a nice race, but they are a bit tougher in the skills necessary, because they use both armor and shield tanks. Minmatar have the best frigate in the Rifter, and a brilliant Battlecruiser in the Hurricane, Gallente are probably better at cruisers and battleships.

One thing to remember is that you aren't limited to your race, it justs gives you some frigate skills at the start of the game. You will be able to change over to any other race by training their skills whenever you want. This is especially the case with the new starting character training bonus.

If you want to try out Eve Online, check out this thread, and give the PC Gamer Corp a shout.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM

The "How to find us" post says you need to be Gallente or Amarr. Edit that please, Bimble. New players won't have low standings or be in faction warfare.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM

what you should do is train one of each, to breed a cross raced superbeing... a galemimitar!!

Minmitars are a really good race, the hurricane is stupidly powerful if flown right- but, will get eaten by a decent myrmidon (the best looking ship in the game imo).

gallente use projectiles too not just minmitar- but for me it was the drones that tipped it. being able to use them for dps and either augment it with FURTHER dps, or use your highs for utilities makes them exceptionally versatile. but then i'm gallente so am biased...

so it boild down to personal choice- do you want to be constantly looking at ships that have been stuck together with skaffolding and gaffer tape, or ones that look like they're covered in cancerous growths?

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Updated the "How to find us" thread. any race can join.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM

I am Gallente with some Minmatar ship skills mainly for the "Hoarder" which is the best low level hauler so I can transport my ore quicker.

#7   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    I am Gallente with some Minmatar ship skills mainly for the "Hoarder" which is the best low level hauler so I can transport my ore quicker.
    Yes well I might go with Amarr then. I was quite successful in piloting a Punisher craft and I did manage to do some decent pirating. [Spent many sleepless nights flicking through 0.0 space and avoiding the bigger predators ].
    Died a few times, but atleast they are cheap enough to replace.

In all honesty I believe the Amarr ships also do look the best, the gallente are too bulbousy, the lower end ships of the caldari look like flying rectangles, the minmatar do look like they are stuck together with gaffa tape and the gallente look like a weird plant I once saw growing in my garden.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Actually any race can fly any ship so your starting race is really irrevevant apart from the look.

#9   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM

I have to agree with you, the Amarr ships certainly look the best, and I used to have an inclining towards Caldari ships as well but the larger the ships get, the more 'boxxy' they seem to become. My personal playstyle seems to lean towards Gallente drones + rail guns, at least for the smaller ships.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:33 PM

amar ships look awesome- and for someone who plans to eventually move to w-space, have the huge advantage of not needing ammo.....

gallente ships look hideous, barring the myrmidon- even the tech 3 ship (proteus) will look hideous when i get it- due to the subsystem combinations need. grr and things.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com