Sea of Thieves is expanding its horizons. The jumbo-sized free Anniversary update added Tall Tales quests and brand new PvP. As of July 2019, Sea of Thieves now receives monthly content updates that give players new reasons to climb aboard their ships and set sail with a tankard full of grog. The centerpieces of monthly updates are Voyages, a new repeatable (limited time) quest type themed around the latest event.
Sea of Thieves's September update event, Smuggler's Fortune, adds new voyages and brand new pirate pets. Read on to see everything that Smuggler's Fortune has to offer.
Update 2.0.7: Smuggler's Fortune - September 11, 2019
Smuggler's Fortune voyages
Download size on PC: 6.78 GB
Following the delivery of Reaper’s Chests to Duke during Dark Relics, he’s now managed to crack open the chests and reap the valuable items inside. Unfortunately, alongside all the treasures, it turns out that many of the Reaper’s Chests simply contained bones, rags and shards that Duke has no idea what to do with, so he’s been burying it all at Shipwreck Bay until he can figure out a more sustainable plan. In comes Stitcher Jim, claiming he’s turned over a new leaf and wanting to prove himself. Rag and Bone Voyages are the result, with the following types available from Duke:
Note: All Rag and Bone Voyages are time-limited for the duration of the Smuggler’s Fortune update.
Reaper’s Grave Voyage
Stitcher Jim has struck a deal with the local Seaposts to acquire Duke’s excess stock. Grab yourself a free Reaper’s Grave Voyage and set out for Shipwreck Bay to dig up the crates before heading to a designated Seapost to cash them in.
Seapost to Seapost Voyage
Some Seaposts need assistance in moving their crates to Seaposts on the outskirts of the Sea of Thieves, so pick up a free Seapost to Seapost Voyage to help them manage their cargo!
Legendary Reaper’s Grave Voyage
Pirate Legends are tasked with a Reaper’s Grave Voyage requiring them to load their ship with even more cargo before heading out to their designated Seapost for disposal.
Smuggler’s Fortune Commendations and Rewards
A range of Mercenary Commendations are available to unlock for helping Duke and Jim deliver their cargo. You can also earn Doubloons to spend in the Black Market along the way, as well unlocking the ‘Bone Haul Bearer’ and ‘Bone Haul Bandit’ Titles.
Duke has begun to take a more prominent role at the Outposts. After retrieving a huge haul of Reaper’s Chests during Dark Relics along with investments from the Trading Companies that he schmoozed during Black Powder Stashes, Duke has now opened his Black Market shop!
Duke’s Black Market offers a range of unique items, from new cosmetics through to variants of previously time-limited cosmetics. These offers will only last until the next Monthly Content Update when the stock will be refreshed, so grab them now!
Fearless Bone Crusher Clothing
This month Duke is offering a twist on the previously available Bone Crusher clothing set by introducing Fearless Bone Crusher clothing. Available for Doubloons, players can acquire the Fearless Bone Crusher Jacket, Fearless Bone Crusher Dress and Fearless Bone Crusher Hat.
Fearless Bone Crusher Ship
In keeping with the Bone Crusher theme, Duke is also introducing the Fearless Bone Crusher ship livery range. Available for Doubloons, players can acquire the Fearless Bone Crusher Hull, Fearless Bone Crusher Sail and Fearless Bone Crusher Flag.
Deep Ocean Crawler Weapons
Something for your gold? This month Duke introduces a twist on the Ocean Crawler set with the ‘Deep Ocean Crawler’ weapons. By digging into their gold reserves, players can acquire the Deep Ocean Crawler Cutlass, Deep Ocean Crawler Flintlock, Deep Ocean Crawler Blunderbuss and Deep Ocean Crawler Eye of Reach.
Letters of Recommendation
Players are now earning a steady stream of Doubloons through the on-time delivery of Rag and Bone Crates and hoarding of Reaper’s Chests, in addition to the Mercenary Voyages being made available for free! So under the provision of the Trading Companies, Duke has begun restricting the flow of Letters of Recommendation. Players will now be only able to purchase a single Letter of Recommendation for each Company in each month.
The Pirate Emporium
The Pirate Emporium is now open! The Emporium offers only the rarest goods that have been smuggled into the Sea of Thieves. All these exclusive items can be yours in exchange for Ancient Coins, a new currency in Sea of Thieves purchasable with your hard-earned real-world money. You can access the Pirate Emporium from the Sea of Thieves main menu before jumping into the game, or at an Outpost via the new store opened above the Order of Souls tent.
Parrots and Monkeys – Looking for a feathered friend to sail beside you with the wind in its feathers, or a nimble companion to follow you deep into an underground cave while you explore ancient ruins? The Pirate Emporium offers a range of parrot and monkey breeds for its grand opening, from the cheeky Parakeet and proud Macaw parrots through to the nimble Capuchin and wise Barbary monkeys. With each breed offering a range of different colours, there’s plenty of choice!
Sea Dog Pet Outfits
Each pet can be dressed in a fetching Sea Dog Outfit. Fancy an eyepatch for your Capuchin or a bandana for your Macaw? Go to the Pets section of the Pirate Emporium to purchase an outfit before heading to the Pet Chest to equip it.
Sea Dog Discount Bundles
For this month only, you can pick up discounted bundles for the Macaw and Capuchin, each dressed in a fashionable Sea Dog outfit.
Bear & Bird Ship Collection
Fans of Banjo-Kazooie will find a brand new livery available for purchase. Whether you pick up individual Bear & Bird ship items, the full set or the Collector’s Figurehead and Sails, you now have various ways to show your love for the famous duo. A Bear & Bird Ship Bundle is also on offer which includes all the regular ship cosmetics at a nice discount!
Emotes Variety Bundle
You can now express yourself in all kinds of new ways with a Variety Bundle of emotes, some of which are also sold separately.
The Vanity Chest has now been updated with an emote tab, giving players the ability to configure their emote radial however they like. On purchasing a new emote, players can now replace an existing emote with their shiny new one!
Ancient Coins are the currency of choice for the Pirate Emporium. When inside the Pirate Emporium, F to access a range of Ancient Coin packs for purchase on your Microsoft account without leaving the game.
Pirates have begun to report sightings of a mysterious Ancient Skeleton carrying a giant sack of Ancient Coins while out exploring on islands. Even though it flees on sight, lucky pirates may be able to defeat the skeleton before it returns to the ground and collect the Ancient Coins it leaves behind. Stay alert for the distinctive sound when it clambers out of the ground and take it down before it disappears!
With the grand opening of the Pirate Emporium, a range of personal pirate pets has at last arrived on the Sea of Thieves. Whether you fancy an exotic parrot or mischievous monkey, head to the Emporium to purchase a loyal companion for your next adventure!
Where Are They?
Just head to the Pet Chest outside any Outpost Pirate Emporium or on your ship to select your new companion and bring it along with you on your adventures.
Name Your Pet
Once a pet has been selected in the Pet Chest, you’re free to name it however you see fit. With your pet selected, F to access the naming window – but keep it clean!
Once purchased from the Pirate Emporium, fetching new outfits can now be equipped on your loyal companions. Each outfit is unique to a specific breed of animal, so head to your Pet Chest and dress up your favorite!
Follow the Leader
Pets will instinctively follow you as you traverse the Sea of Thieves, from joining you for a drink in the tavern to feeling the wind in their fur or feathers far out at sea.
When on your ship, pets remain idle before picking a spot to hang out. Look out for your monkey perching next to the wheel as you sail your ship, or your parrot taking a nap on the Captain’s table while you vote for your next Voyage. Perches have even been added to the Rowboats!
While holding your pet, you can place them directly onto one of the hangout spots set up all over your ship. Then they’ll stay put even if you leave the ship and head off into the world, for those times where stealth or focus is key!
Working pet cages have been added to all ship types! Swing the latch and you now have a handy place for your favorite companion to sit which is a little more out of the way.
Your loyal companion will react to the world around you and cower when you and the crew are in danger! Don’t worry, they can’t be hurt, but they might need a bit of fuss once you’ve vanquished any threats.
Picking Up Pets
You can pick up any pet you find in the world, whether it’s yours, a member of your crew’s or even a rival pirate’s. Once picked up you can give them a good fuss and then show them off to others. When showing off your pet, other pirates can feed it, stroke it and even take it from you to play with.
Dismissing Your Pet
If you are away from your ship and looking for a quick way to dismiss your pet, head to the ‘My Crew’ section in the Game Options. Under ‘Pet Management’ you have a quick way to return your pet to the Pet Chest.
The Arena updates
- Arena Cross Play – Xbox players now have an option in the main settings menu before jumping into a game session to enable an Xbox controller preference for Arena matchmaking. This will search for Xbox players using controllers and attempt to match you with players who have also selected this option (but if not enough players are found with this preference, you will be moved to a mixed-platform game so that you can still get into the action). If you set this preference to ‘Off’, you will be matched with all players including those on PC and any Xbox players using a mouse and keyboard.
- Meg Head in the Tavern – During your time in The Arena’s Glorious Sea Dogs Tavern, you will now see the magnificent trophy head of the Megalodon that DeMarco himself defeated!
- Arena Non-Verbal Messages – While inside The Arena, non-verbal pirate phrases have been revised to provide more tactical use in Arena contests.
- Arena Welcome Message – When joining The Arena by going into the Tavern or straight into a contest, players will now be shown a welcome message informing them of their team name, color and iconography.
- Rejoin Your Game Session – When disconnected from the game due to a sudden exit, game crash or network issue, players are now offered the chance to rejoin their game session once they return to the main menu. Game sessions are now kept alive for a short period of time after the last crew member disconnects, providing a 10-minute window to return to the session without losing progress.
- Aggressive Skeleton Ships – When out sailing the world, crews will once again hear eerie sounds from the depths as aggressive Skeleton Ships breach alongside them to attack. Skeleton Sloops have entered the fray too, ensuring different crew sizes encounter an appropriate challenge! When sailing on a Sloop, crews should no longer encounter an aggressive Skeleton Galleon and will instead find themselves attacked by a Skeleton Sloop. Brigantine crews have a chance to encounter both Skeleton Sloops and Skeleton Galleons, while Galleon crews will always encounter the most challenging Skeleton Galleon.
- Roaming Skeleton Sloops – Skeleton Sloops have now been seen roaming the seas outside Skeleton Ship battles. A challenging clash for Sloop crews or a potentially easy target for larger crews – either way, head out there and claim those rewards!
- Storage Crates – There is now a chance to find washed-up Storage Crates out there in the world. These crates can be carried and used to store anything that you could put into a barrel!
- External Sea Dogs Tavern Challenge Route – In Adventure, if you head to the Glorious Sea Dogs Tavern in the center of the world, you can find a new jumping challenge route. Head to the top of the tavern through the staircase and track your best times or try to beat your crewmates by ringing the bells at each end. The Challenge Route can even be attempted backwards to ramp up the difficulty!
- ‘Shores of Gold’ Final Cutscene – After breaking through the Shroud, uncovering the Shores of Gold’s secrets and fighting their way through the caverns, crews skilled enough to defeat the fabled foe will experience a new final cutscene showcasing their epic journey.
- Blunderbuss Knockback Balancing – We’ve reduced the range at which a Blunderbuss shot will apply a knockback to a rival player, so you now must be much closer to get that knockback. The distance a player is knocked back by the shot remains the same!
- Gunpowder Keg Hit Detection – Improvements have been made to ensure hitting gunpowder kegs at range is more consistent with ranged weapons.
- Explosive Damage on Ships – When ships are affected by explosions (gunpowder kegs, volcanic rocks etc.) they now use a new more realistic damage model using an inner and outer blast radius. This new setup ensures that greater damage is applied closer to the explosion, and less damage further away.
- Harpoon Aim Support – Firing a harpoon at a player or treasure Item now has a much greater chance of connecting with your intended target, even while on a moving ship!
- ‘Wild Rose’ Music Box – Players can now interact with the music box in the ‘Wild Rose’ Tall Tale in order to play the Wild Rose Theme.
- Reaper’s Chest VFX – The Reaper’s Chest now has a new smoky visual effect when discovered in the world, and the light pillar has had a further effect pass to ensure its visibility at all times of day/night.
- Joining a crew located close to an active Skeleton Fort should no longer cause pirates to lose their ability to interact with the world.
- Players killed by falling lava rocks and their immense splash damage will now correctly be offered the red light from the Flames of Fate on the Ferry of the Damned.
- Sword attack animations will now correctly play when under the effects of venom and being attacked by skeletons.
- Players enabling ‘Replace Gamertags’ should no longer see true gamertags on ship map controls and Voyage banners.
- Players enabling ‘Replace Gamertags’ should no longer have the chance to see a debug gamertag when crews migrate to their server.
- Players enabling ‘Replace Gamertags’ while in proximity to multiple players will now correctly scramble all gamertags in view.
- Migrating to a new server while your ship mast is down will no longer cause your ship to act as if the mast is up once migration is complete.
- Players joining a server, should no longer have a chance of spawning on the Shores of Gold.
- ‘Hunter of Wildsplashes’ Commendation now correctly awards the ‘Hunter of Wildsplashes’ Title.
- Players should once again be able to repair their mast after having their mast downed and being hit with a Riggingball.
- Wielding a glowing item no longer causes lighting around the player to change.
- Movement and emote animations should no longer begin to freeze when eight players come together and animate simultaneously.
- Switching between Arena and Adventure rapidly on the front end will no longer cause a drop in framerate.
- Interacting with a barrel then leaving the game idle will no longer cause the UI to become unresponsive on your return.
- Assigning different keys to ‘Turn Previous Page, Turn Next Page’ should correctly unbind any previously bound keys. These options can no longer be bound to the same keys as movement.
- Changing the Global settings in the ‘All Other Crews’ menu should now correctly display this setting change when viewing each individual player without needing to close and reopen the menu.
- The global ‘All Other Crews’ settings should no longer display as ‘YES’ when they are set to ‘NO’. This was a visual issue as the settings were configured incorrectly.
- Corrected grammar issues on Reaper’s Chest non-verbal messages.
- Players will no longer hear oar splashes when rowing the Rowboat on dry land.
- When a Sloop has been emptied of water, splashing footstep SFX should no longer be heard.
- The Mercenary Wheel now casts a shadow.
- ‘Reduce Held Interactions’ toggle now supports handing in Sea Dog chests in The Arena.
- Players can once again interact with the Pirate Code in the Sea Dogs Tavern.
- Players are now unable to interact with NPCs during server migration.
- Contest scoreboards will now display all crews’ scores formatted based on your locale consistently in all places.
- Players unable to matchmake when joining The Arena will now return to the lobby and stay in their crew, allowing them to retry.
- Signing out of your profile while ‘Searching the Seas’ for an Arena lobby will no longer cause the game to crash.
- Text shown on The Arena intro should no longer be cut off.
- Following migration to a new tavern, the cannon and wheel in the Sea Dogs Tavern become usable once again.
TALL TALES - SHORES OF GOLD
- ‘Stars of a Thief’ – Migrating before placing the Star Jewels into the statue will now correctly open the statue, revealing the totem.
- Loot should no longer spawn in an inaccessible place inside the Molten Sands Fortress vault.
- Resolved collision issues preventing items from being dropped and retrieved inside the Order of Souls tent on Galleon’s Grave Outpost.
- Resolved incorrect collision on Fetcher’s Rest volcano.
- Players should no longer get stuck between rocks in certain areas of the treasure room on the Shores of Gold.
- Players should no longer get stuck in the chasm on the Shores of Gold.
- Players should no longer get stuck under the island at Lone Cove.
- Players should no longer get stuck between rocks on Sharkbait Cove.
- Players should no longer get stuck in the rafters of the Three Paces East Seapost.
- Players should no longer be ‘safe teleported’ when walking between large rocks on Kraken’s Fall.
- Players should no longer become stuck behind the Gold Hoarder tent on Morrow’s Peak Outpost.
- Resolved a LOD issue on large boulders found in the world.
- Resolved a LOD issue when viewing textures inside Wanda’s Hideout.
- Textures should now render correctly when sailing around Sunken Grove.
- Sailing through an area close to the Isle of Last Words should no longer change the lighting levels.
- When moving around the ship, waves will no longer sometimes appear to flicker.
- Players should hear more consistent audio when encountering spike traps on the Shores of Gold.
- Resolved a clipping issue on Fort ladders on Keel Haul Fort.
- Resolved a gap between rocks on Ashen Reaches.
- Tall Tales – Commendations Showing as Incomplete – Some players may find that after completing Shores of Gold Commendations and receiving their rewards, the Commendations still show as incomplete.
- Combat – Inconsistent Aim Down Sights or Blocking – When exiting a sprint, immediately attempting to aim a gun or block with a sword can result in the action not triggering and the weapon returning to a wielded state.