Apex legends updates are a seasonal affair these days and now that it's been around over a year it can be tough to track what's hot and what's not. Afterall, we know how the Mozambique started and look at it now. We're tracking the latest updates to the current season of Apex Legends.
Season 4 of Alex legends is upon us bringing a shakeup to World's Edge, the new legend Revenant, and a bunch of smaller tweaks and fixes. For less dev speak and more explanation, check out our page of everything you need to know about Apex Legends Season 4. For just the gritty nuts, bolts, and specs, stay right here. If you're looking for a blast from the past, we've archived all the previous seasons and their updates on the following pages of this article.
Season 4 - Assimilation: February 4, 2020
New legend: Revenant
Revenant takes +5% damage.
Stalker: You crouch walk faster and can climb higher up walls.
Silence: Throw a device that deals damage and disables enemy abilities for 10 seconds.
Death Totem: Drop a totem that protects users from death. Instead of getting killed or downed, you will return to the totem [with 1 health].
New weapon: Sentinel Sniper Rifle
- Bolt action sniper rifle
- Medium to long range
- Does massive damage to shields while energized (consume a shield battery while equipped to energize)
- Unique VFX trails and SFX while energized
- Energy decays when shot and over time
Map update: World's Edge
- Multi-level Planet Harvester at the map's center
- Capitol City has been split into Fragment East and Fragment West
- Lava fissures and updrafts - you'll take damage for falling into the fissure then be carried back to map level on a updraft though other players can shoot at you as you float upward
- Survey Camp - a new POI between the Epicenter and Skyhook
- Weapon racks - Guaranteed weapon spawns in the Survey Camp as an alternative to a hotter drop spot
Ranked series 3
- Moving to Splits per season, ~6 weeks of ranked play before a reset
- Adding Master Tier, Apex Predator becomes top 500 players by platform
- Soft reset and scoring are the same, but soft reset is every split
- Dive trails will be moving to a seasonal reward model, but Series 1 & 2 players are grandfathered in
- The update to how assists are scored in Series 3 also applies to Revenant’s Silence ability
Anniversary login gift
For the first week of Season 4 - Assimilation (Feb 4, 2020 - Feb 11, 2020), anyone who logs in during that time will receive the Anniversary Gift.
- Year 1 Origami Flyer charm
- Year 1 Loyalty badge
- 10k XP for your first match of the day
- Sniper Ammo: New ammo type for all snipers. 10 shots per pickup
- New attachment: extended magazine for Sniper ammo
- Energy Ammo: Now gives 30 ammo per pickup instead of 20
- Removed loot: Turbocharger hop-up Extended mags for energy ammo
- Gold Backpack: UI update to better convey to the player when they are using or being revived with the perk.
Update to Ironsights accuracy: Apex guns move around subtly while ADS -- they rotate and sway as you move your aim, they bob up and down and side to side while moving, etc.
We have special tech that makes sure the reticle on the optics stays centered even as the gun moves around a bit. However, until season 4, the ironsights on weapons didn't have this tech. That meant that the ironsights reticles could move around with the weapon and actually be slightly inaccurate -- they wouldn't point at the screen center where the next shot would fire. With season 4, we have updated most of the weapons' ironsights to properly stay centered now. Not all ironsights are upgraded yet, but we will be updating the remaining weapons as this season progresses. The weapons that will be updated for Season 4 are:
Apex Legends tips: How to play
Apex Legends guns: Which to use
Apex Legends characters: Skills and tips
Apex Legends performance: Get the best
Apex Legends map: Where to land
Apex Legends loot boxes: How they work
Apex Legends Battle Pass: Everything you need to know about the current season
Apex Legends Update: Latest patch notes
- Longbow DMR
- Charge Rifle
- Sentinel Sniper Rifle
- Spitfire LMG
- Moved from “Sniper” to the “Assault Rifle” class.
- Now only accepts AR optics and attachments [including barrel stabilizers and stock].
- Still accepts Double Tap hop-up.
- Contributes to progress for stats/challenges for AR’s moving forward.
- Reduced fire rate 4.5 -> 4.0
- Increasing time between shots for double tap 0.425 -> 0.475
- Fixed bug where G7 had 0 ADS air spread, making it the only gun that was perfectly accurate on ziplines, etc.
- No longer a crate weapon and can now be found around the map.
- Uses energy ammo.
- Reloading has been removed and the L-STAR will overheat after sustained fire so best to fire in short bursts to manage overheating and recoil.
- Damage reduced per shot 19 -> 18
- Rate of Fire decreased 12 -> 10
- Less horizontal viewkick when the weapon fires.
- Magazine size: 54
- Total ammo stock: 162
- Turbocharger functionality.
- No longer accepts the Turbocharger hop-up [turbocharger has been removed from the game] but can still equip Select Fire.
- Decreased time between shots when using Select Fire hop-up .77 -> .56
- Reduced damage per shot 12 -> 11
- Increased magazine size for the first 3 tiers:
- Base: 18 -> 20
- Common: 20 -> 22
- Rare: 23 -> 24
- Epic: 27 -> 27
- Increased damage per shot 14 -> 15
- Increased single-shot rate of fire 5.6 -> 6.4
- Adjusted magazine sizes:
- Base: 4 -> 5
- Common: 6 -> 6
- Rare: 8 -> 7
- Epic: 10 -> 8
- Double Tap hop-up: reduced the delay between bursts: 0.85 -> 0.80
- Fixed an exploit that players discovered and reported where you could rapidly fire the Mastiff.
Gold weapons for season 4:
Downing (not killing) players adds 5 seconds to Beast of the Hunt timer. It is possible to exceed starting time with successive kills.
EMP no longer destroys friendly Gibraltar Dome Shields. Dome Shields no longer can stick to Crypto’s Drone.
- Fixed bug that was causing players that reached account level 500 to crash or access their inventory or store.
- Fixed bug where player level text would appear on the badges of level 100 badge when it wasn’t supposed to.
- Fixed bug for some cases where players were unable to equip weapons from care packages when attempting to swap it with an existing weapon.
- Fixes for a few bad spots in World’s Edge where players were getting stuck or getting to places they shouldn’t.
- Fixed bug where sometimes when the Jumpmaster disconnects then the followers in their squad would float in mid-air and be unable to unfollow.
- General stability fixes.
Quality of life
- Fixes for cases where approaching the edge of the Circle would make the players screen turn almost all white.
- Updated colorblind settings based on player feedback.
- Community Request: added a Random Favorites option for unlocked skins that can be found in the Legend customization menu. You’ll see an option to “favorite” skins you’ve unlocked [Y button on consoles]. Choosing Random Favorite option from the skins menu will randomly cycle your chosen favorite Legend skins in between matches.
- Increased the timer for when you can still be credited for an assist after dealing damage: 5 seconds -> 7.5 seconds.
- Nerfed the Roller that falls from the Loot Drone. Reduced damage. Decreased radius of splash damage. Updated the visual FX to the explosion for better visibility.
- “Target Compensation” and “Melee Target Compensation” options have been moved to the “Advanced Look Controls” menu.
Penalties and loss forgiveness in ranked
There are some changes coming to loss forgiveness to reduce abuse of the system. Loss forgiveness when a teammate leaves or fails to connect is unchanged, and is working as intended. We will be limiting the RP loss forgiveness when you leave once per day. If you exceed once per day more than three times per ranked series, you lose all forgiveness for the remainder of that series. Once these limits are reached players will no longer receive RP loss forgiveness when abandoning a match, regardless of the reason for quitting. We will continue to display prompts that alert you that leaving will count, and now will alert you when you are about to run out of loss forgiveness games.The scaling penalties are the same as last Series.
With this patch we’ll be pushing out changes globally to matchmaking that we’ve been testing in specific regions. We’re well aware that this has been a contentious topic among players and there’s been some misinformation out there so just to be clear: skill-based matchmaking has existed in Apex since launch and we’ll be continuing to improve it over time.