Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Default Impact of MMOs/games in general on advertising and marketing?

[SIZE="2"]Hi guys. I'm new here and I think this question needs to be answered by gamers.

So basically, are in-game advertisments impactful or effective in your opinion? They can be in any form from any kind of game. Like for example, all those ads in racing games. Product placement like a coke bottle in some rpg or even online games.

I'm a casual gamer so I'm not sure about what's going on in mmos like WOW and stuff like that.
    So please share your thoughts. Thanks.[/SIZE]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 AM

Only if it doesn't annoy the crap out of me.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, for instance, had very nice product placement. Inside the convention center level, there are boards with advertisements on them that constantly change regardless of the game. It's pretty awesome to see ads for a movie coming out in a month inside a game that's been out for a couple years now.

Also, billboards in racing games. So long as it isn't a huge-ass billboard, it fits.

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 AM

I don't mind it as long as:

1) It fits in with the game world (I don't want to see an ad for Pepsi in Dragon Age)
    2) The game is cheaper. If there's advertising I'm not paying full price. It's like going to the movies, paying full price and then having ad breaks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    Also, billboards in racing games. So long as it isn't a huge-ass billboard, it fits.
    I don't generally mind this except when there aren't enough ads. Burnout Paradise for instance where there's like 2 ads on rotation (I refuse to believe Burger King would be able to buy every second billboard).

#4   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM

If there were ever a means of simultaneously catching my attention and annoying me, then it would have to be: [URL="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/"]shameless self-promotion[/URL].

I don’t know what it is, but I find it a bit insulting when a developer starts [URL="http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Crates"]spontaneously shoving stuff in front of my face[/URL]. Developers, go find someone else to bother, there are [URL="http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/22/team-fortress-2-modders-make-a-fortune/"]plenty of players that do use these services[/URL]. I keep myself informed, so I will buy something if I really want it. The glorified pop-up ad* is only discouraging purchases from me.

*In the absence of an efficient secondary market, that’s all it is.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 AM

I really don't mind adverts where it fits, like the aforementioned billboards in Burnout (though they should be more varied) or the ones in Quake Live (it is a sporting arena after all). Not so keen on seeing them on loading screens, though if the game is free...
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM

yeah I'm fine with the billboards, I think prototype has them as well and it makes the city seem a bit more real. I don't know why they bother though, does anybody really buy something because of these?

I played through Splinter Cell: Cahos Theory again last week and didn't once feel the need to go get a pack of Airwaves

Tags

advertising, mmo, mmorpg, rpg