Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Default Far Cry 3 = Skyrim with guns?

I wasn't really interested in this but after having read several reviews that pretty much all say the same thing.. ie: that this is open world gaming done right.
    I'm sorely tempted to pick it up, I'm liking the sound of there's always seemingly unique distractions off the beaten path, if you need something (additional holsters etc) you need to source the raw materials to craft them & the gunplay also seems to be quite fun, but importantly NOT the only way to get the job done.

Anyone else?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM

considering the pile of rancid fecal matter that was Far Cry 2 I wouldn't hold out much hope for the sequel.

I won't be buying it anyway because that would mean giving money to ubisoft.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Well the RPS review is a hell of a lot more informative than the PCG review, but there are still huge questions for anyone who loved the original Farcry, but who thought FC2 sucked. Here are my thoughts:

1.Technical. Circa 15% of people posting in the tech support section of the FC2 web site could never play the game due to hardware conflicts. The game would hang on the first cut scene. The developer eventually admitted that the problem existed, having spent nearly 2 months denying that there was a problem, but they never managed to fix it. FC3 is apparently crashing on some machines, and that is a concern, because whatever conflicts it has on launch may well never be fixed. The tech support attitude with FC2 was that it was a console port and that they had already moved onto to other games as soon as FC2 was shipped, so don't expect any help if your game constantly hangs or crashes.

2. AI was unpredictable. Sometimes you could hide from them in vegetation,but nine times out of 10 they had x-ray vision and 100% accuracy as soon as you came close enough, even if they couldn't see you. Stealth combat was therefore annoying and frustrating.

3. Design issues. Respawning enemy at checkpoints, malaria tablets, the colour brown, gamey high sided valleys with invisible barriers, console style glow on anything you could interact with, (doors, weapons on ground, etc), 100% hostility from every NPC you met, very unimmersive open game world with little incentive to explore, etc. I can't remember the entire list of things that annoyed the crap out of me with FC2, but it was a very long list. Basically FC2 was a good kiddie console game but a really crap PC FPS.

FC2 was never the game it was hyped up to be by the developer and the professional games media who reviewed it, and it was a classic case of the Emperor not having any clothes for many of us who played it. Ultimately it turned into a love it or hate it marmite game, as evidenced by PCG awarding it 94% and players on Metacritic awarding it 55%.

The original Farcry is in my top 10 list of FPS games, so I would really like FC3 to be a huge improvement over FC2, but I just don't know whether or not it is, and won't until I can read a range of different player reviews.

The RPS review states that it is better, and if players confirm that in due course, then I willl happily buy it after release, but I am not pre-ordering it, as there are just to many questions still left unanswered and hanging in the air.

Regards - Mr P
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evil Plum View Post
    Ultimately it turned into a love it or hate it marmite game, as evidenced by PCG awarding it 94% and players on Metacritic awarding it 55%.
    I think at the end of the day it depended on what people expected from it. Some expected a shooter while others wanted a sandbox game. I personally hated it for it's gameplay and level design. PCG made it sound like it was a vast open world design. I spent the first 6 hours wandering around high-sided canyons that felt enclosed and claustrophobic. The respawning enemies was what kicked the bucket for me though; I can't explore an area if I know they are only going to come back in 3 minutes. It's a shame because with a few adjustments it could have been brilliant but they pandered good and proper to the console and so the technical side was lacking enough to affect the gameplay. I did like having to dig bullets out of my leg though

As for FC3, everything I've read about it so far sounds similar to what they said about FC2 so I'm not really expecting much more from them. I wouldn't expect Skyrim with guns, I expect FC2 with more sparkle.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM

FC2 wasn't all that great. The basic shooter parts were fun and I liked hunting for diamonds but the near-instant respawn was incredibly stupid, the voice acting was all compressed so much that I could barely understand what was going on, and missions kept happening in the same areas! When I got to the second half of the game I just stopped.

FC3 does have some promise - namely by not respawning constantly but the PCG review also says that the main missions are pretty poor. While I wouldn't go as far as Lizard with respect to Ubisoft, I must admint that they have pulled some REALLY boneheaded stuff on the PC. That U-Play security breach which let anyone run any program on your PC was not just a typical bug, that was absolutely inexcusable stupidity.

So yeah, I plan to wait for the real version to come out with all its DRM then, assuming the game is good, give it a month or two to make sure the DRM isn't another system killer.
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Guns, check
    Big Open world, check
    night and day cycle, check
    Bad people to shoot at, check

sorry, whats not to like here?

The further games move away from being corridor shooters the better. We should all be thankfull for that, at least..

It does strike me as odd that quite a few PC gamers consider dross like Half life 2 to be the pinnacle of gaming excellence. A rather dross corridor shooter that mainly consists of go to point A, then B with such little input from the player apart from a few ropey physics puzzles (and even those were a sore joke at best)

Like I've said a hundred times before mind you. The bit where you play catch with the dog was rather good.

A sad state of affairs when great games such as Liberation (On the CD32) will be forver lost to the bowels of time and forgotten but games like Hall Life 2 will be forever remembered as "Teh Bezt Eva"

Far cry 3? Looks good and a step in the right direction and one I hope more gaming developers take.

But then I did actually think Far Cry 2 was pretty good just for the sheer scope alone at the time.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 PM

To me, it never felt like I was in a corridor in HL2, I was in a huge world being chased by aliens (essentially). In FC2, I felt like I was in a corridor with some sky textures. It's most definitely a stretch to call it 'open world' when there's not really much of a world, and it consist mostly of corridors.

I've not read any reviews of FC3 yet (too many open tabs to read!), but if past previews and gameplay videos are anything to go by then it looks like it's learnt a few lessons from it's prequel, but still hasn't quite grasped what it takes to make a remarkable game, and still has the hallmarks of being aimed at a console audience. I'll settle for enjoyable but shallow and get some fun out of it over Christmas.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    It's most definitely a stretch to call it 'open world'.
    ...But, it was open world!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dylanger View Post
    ...But, it was open world!
    Maybe I went a bit overboard there! What I meant was that it was a poorly realised open world, built with the philosophy of a linear game in mind and didn't really understand what it was to be 'open world'. In my opinion, like.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM

I'm getting it. I need my fix of fps shooters damn it.