You want a new processor, you’ve checked out our best CPU for gaming guide, and now you need to know the best CPU deals available right now. Well, we can help out with that too.
The processor is the brains of your gaming rig. No matter what you’re running, whether it’s the CPU-intensive Planetside 2 or Minecraft, the processor will be doing all the important number crunching, so you want to make sure you’re getting the right one and for the right money.
Some highlights this week: The Intel Core i5-7600K is one of Intel's new fancy Kaby Lake chips, and you can pick one up from Micro Center for cheap at the moment.
For under half that though there's always the impressive little Intel Core i3-6100. It's a dual-core chip, but with four threads and the Skylake Core architecture will get better gaming performance than a similarly-priced AMD processor.
- Hold onto your hats, Intel's new generation of processors Kaby Lake is here, featuring higher clock speeds and new features. They're brand new so you won't see much money off at the moment, but Micro Center has a Core i5-7600K for $200 at the moment. If you can't travel, Amazon is currently your best bet at $240.
Cores - 6 | Threads - 6 | Clockspeed - 3.5GHz | Socket - AM3 | $81
- One of the best-value gaming chips around is AMD’s FX-6300. It’s an overclockable six-core CPU capable of seriously impressive clockspeeds. Check out the deal at Amazon for $81. which comes without a box but with a thermal paste bundle.
Cores - 2 | Threads - 4 | Clockspeed - 3.7GHz | Socket - LGA 1151 | $108
- Don't let those two cores fool you, with HyperThreading this Intel Skylake i3-6100 is a great little budget gaming chip capable of getting more from your GPU than an equivalent AMD chip. View this deal at SuperBiiz for just $108.
Cores - 4 | Threads - 8 | Clockspeed - 4GHz | Socket - LGA 1151 | $260
- The Intel Core i7-6700K is the current Skylake hero product, with a hefty clockspeed and serious overclocking potential too. If you've got a Micro Center near you this pick-up only deal is the cheapest we've found. Check it out at Micro Center for $260. Online you'll pay over $300.
- Our favorite Skylake processor, the Intel Core i5-6600K handles all modern games, has good overclocking potential, and it supports the Z170 platform, which brings more PCIe lanes for all your SSD and memory needs. Find one at Amazon for $230. Like elsewhere in here, you'll get a better deal if you can travel to a Micro Center, where you'll find one for $180.
In our guide to the best gaming processors we've picked out our favourite overall gaming CPU, the best high-end option and the best budget processor for gaming. Here are the best prices we've found around the web for each of them today.
“Although this i5 has an almost identical spec to our previous favourite CPU, the Core i5-4690K, overall performance for this processor trumps its predecessor by up to 10% in rendering, archiving and other workstation simulated tasks.”
“Is this truly still better than Skylake’s crème de la crème of processors, the i7-6700K? Yep, absolutely. In computational benchmarks those six cores run rings around its Skylake cousin.”
“While it’s a no-frills processor, as it’s only a dual-core model, and lacks Turbo Mode or hyper-threading, this is still enough to drive the majority of games at playable resolution and detail settings.”
A note on affiliates: some of our stories, like this one, include affiliate links to online stores. Some of these online stores share a small amount of revenue with us if you buy something through one of these links, which help support our work evaluating components and games.