The Epic Games Store is aggressively challenging Steam with exclusive games, free giveaways and an attractive revenue split for developers. At the same time, it's also far behind the features Steam has built up over the years, like Big Picture mode, mod workshops, and heck, a basic shopping cart. Epic is playing catch up.
Epic is being pretty transparent about the Epic Game Store patch process, which means we have some idea of what's coming, and regular patch notes alongside updates. We're going to keep track of those patches here, to stay abreast of bugfixes and new features as they arrive.
Here’s the Epic Games Store’s patch notes for October (so far) and September 2019, with past updates on the second page.
Epic Games Store patch notes - October 2019
Epic Games Store Web 6.3.3
- Support for future work
Epic Games Store Web 6.3.2
- Resolved an issue that could leave users in a loading state after navigation
Epic Games Store Client 10.7.0
- Added additional cloud save error messaging
- Support for Thai localization
- Cloud saves now create a copy of local save data when syncing cloud data
- Bug fixes
Epic Games Store Web 6.3.1
- Bug Fix
Epic Games Store Web 6.3.0
- Added support for Thai localization
- Bug fixes
Epic Games Store client 10.6.2
- Bug fix
Epic Games Store client 10.6.1
- Support for game overlay feature
- Performance improvements for users with very large friend lists
Epic Games store client 10.6.0
- Improvements to cloud saves feature
- Improvements to the game invites flow
Epic Games store web 6.2.0
- Bug fixes
Epic Games Store patch notes - September 2019
Epic Games store client 10.5.7
- Resolved a crash that could occur when a user attempted to join a friend playing Borderlands 3
Epic Games Store web 6.0.0
- Added a list view and sorting options to the game library
Epic Games Store client 10.5.6
- Resolved an issue that could result in local files being over written by cloud save files.
- Updated trouble shooting page to search for the correct back end.
Epic Games Store client 10.5.5
- Bug fixes
Epic Games Store client 10.5.4 (web 5.2.0)
- Support for Traditional Chinese
- Support for improved parental controls
Epic Games Story client 10.5.3
- Client support for improved experiences when joining games through the launcher
- Resolved an issue where multi factor authentication was not remembering user devices
Epic Games Store web 5.1.0
- Added playtime tracking stats to game settings menus
How the Epic Games Store roadmap works
The most important thing to know about the Epic Games Store’s patch process is that they’ve got an entire roadmap dedicated to the work they’re planning: Epic Games Store Roadmap Trello.
Don’t know what Trello is? It’s one of those fancy workflow management tools. Tasks are listed as cards that contain info and assets for a project, and cards get moved around to different columns to indicate how far along they are.
The Epic Games Store Trello is organized into columns for future (further out) development, features "up next," and those recently shipped.
What’s up next?
- Ubisoft titles require large installs
- Epic Games Overlay - Checkout
- Storefront - Discover
- Storefront - Browse
- Storefront - Curated Collections
- Storefront - Trending
- Price Protection
- Mod Support for Games
What’s coming in the future?
- Newsfeed and Follow Improvements
- Shopping Cart
- Automated Refunds
- Social Overhaul
- Direct Carrier Billing
- Price Adjusting Bundles
- Additional Payment Methods
- Additional Currencies
- User Reviews
- Android Store