It is officially allergy season in the part of North America I'm sitting in, and though you might think that itchy, swollen eyes would make you a better Valorant player, they do not. That's why I mostly ducked out of competitive games this week and went back to playing Control in the hopes that squinting through pollen tears makes ray tracing look even better.
I'm not so sure that it does, but Control looks fantastic either way. Everything is so shiny! And yet it's also one of the few games that I don't mind pausing every time I find a new note to read. The notes are so good. Hopefully some of the PC gaming news below is also good enough to warrant pausing the world to read, despite how nice the ray tracing is out here.
Apparently, Ampere-based GeForce cards may crush existing cards when it comes to ray tracing. It's just a rumor, but it doesn't make my recently purchased RTX 2070 Super feel very good about itself. Sorry, bud.
The more I hear about this game, the more I feel like there's not going to be a middle-ground: It'll either be dumb as hell, or fantastic. Time will tell!
Usually you want to put some gameplay in your gameplay trailers. At least Ubisoft admitted that the trailer was a letdown (opens in new tab).
As expected, though, Nintendo isn't going to let it slide (opens in new tab).
Some accused Doom's audio lead of poorly mixing composer Mick Gordon's tracks for the Doom Eternal OST. Id Software now says that the mixes couldn't be helped, because Gordon missed deadlines and it had to work with the only audio it had. It doesn't look like the two parties will be working together again.
You had to figure this would happen eventually, but it's nice to hear rumblings of it happening soon.
More things we wrote
- GTA Online's alien outfits are now free, so get out there and kill each other (opens in new tab)
- Try turning off Windows 10's Game Mode if your games are stuttering or freezing (opens in new tab)
- Warzone will connect the different Call of Duty series (opens in new tab)
- Terraria's Journey Mode will let you play with item duplication, God mode and more (opens in new tab)
- Why am I strangely drawn to this 'OMG!' PC case? (opens in new tab)
- Jonathan Frakes is here to tell you how sad PUBG's Dinoland is (opens in new tab)
- What's the next Crysis? The games that give the RTX 2080 Ti nightmares (opens in new tab)
- YouTube secures Pewdiepie with an exclusive livestreaming deal (opens in new tab)
- A new Call of Duty and World of Warcraft: Shadowlands are still on track for this year (opens in new tab)
- H.R. Giger inspired horror game Scorn is back with an extremely moist trailer (opens in new tab)
- Creator of one of the worst viruses ever finally fesses up 20 years later (opens in new tab)
- The controversy over Riot's Vanguard anti-cheat software, explained (opens in new tab)
A large hog
Look at him, he's so large (opens in new tab):
That's all for this week, because what more could you need than that large hog? May all of your CPU cores run cool as a cucumber this weekend.
To stay up-to-date on PC Gamer's news and features, you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook, subscribe to our newsletter, listen to our weekly podcast, or just refresh the homepage waiting for whatever happens next.