UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Mojang
US Publisher: Mojang
Age Rating: ESRB Everyone | PEGI 7
It can be hard to imagine a time before Minecraft, before the unassuming voxel-based craft-'em-up quietly took over the entire world. The phenomenon taps into our need to create, our need to build, our need to destroy, not forgetting our need to give a man and his iconic hat rather a lot of money.
Minecraft didn't invent procedural generation, but it was at the forefront of its revival this generation, allowing for endless exploration and discovery inside its randomly generated worlds. Its popularity inspired a raft of copycats and the odd genuinely great crafting sandbox but Mojang's game has yet to be bettered - and it's constantly being improved.
VerdictRead the review
Intuitively interesting and contagiously fun, with an unparalleled scope for creativity and memorable experiences.
Latest on Minecraft
Feel like doing a little mad science? The Advanced Genetics mod lets you collect DNA from Minecraft's monsters and animals, ...
- Minecraft: The Story of Mojang now available to watch on YouTube
- Minecraft 1.7 gets pre-released, will change the world on Friday
- Games and art: Minecraft at the London Victoria & Albert museum
- Minecraft map of Great Britain created by Ordnance Survey
- Mojang team up with the Victoria and Albert Museum for the World of Minecraft
- Mod of the Week: Galacticraft, for Minecraft
- Minecon 2013 announced, and the location is...
- Minecraft's "Horse Update" pre-release rides in, official launch set for next week
- Minecraft Mod Spotlight: magic carpets, top texture packs and the power to part oceans
- Mod of the Week: RikMuld's Camping Mod, for Minecraft