SSDs are fast becoming the standard in storage. If you're still on an old spinner, some would say an SSD is the first thing you should upgrade. While they have come down in price over the years, no one likes to spend more money than they have to. That's where we come in.
When they first appeared on the PC scene the solid state drive was very much a luxury item, and even then capacities of 250GB seemed like extreme extravagance. Now the SSD is almost an expected component of a proper gaming PC.
And gone are the lowly 30-60GB capacity SSDs too, with even a 120GB drive looking like a miserly amount of space for your Steam library. For just £45 you can now pick up a 240GB SSD which will outperform even the most expensive drives of just a few years back.
If you’ve already checked out our guide to the best SSD then you’ll already have an idea what you’re after, but if you want them for the absolute best price then allow us to help.
Some highlights this week: There's a healthy discount on the 240GB version of the excellent SanDisk SSD PLUS at the moment, making it even more of a tempting purchase.
- It doesn't offer the best performance but it's also priced accordingly. The Kingston A400 is the perfect budget drive, especially when on sale.
- SanDisk's Ultra series drives offer great performance and right now it's as cheap as the budget oriented SSD Plus when you buy from Ebuyer.
- There are no savings to be had on the 250GB version of Samsung's 850 Evo, but it still provides the best in value in the 250Gb range.
- Samsung's 850 Evo series strikes the perfect balance between performance and reliability while offering all the features we've come to expect with their drives, including their excellent Magician software.
- While the price of SSDs has certainly come done over the years, great deals on high capacity drives are still hard to come by. The 1TB MX300 from Crucial is the exception. It's not the strongest performing drive, but it's reliable and usually the cheapest in the 1TB range. This week it's back on sale, further increasing it's already excellent value.
We've picked out our current favourite solid state drives and have put together our best SSD guide which details both the overall best SSD around as well as the best budget SSD as well as the best high-end SSD.
And here are the best prices we've found for them around the web today:
“The ideal SSD for a gaming PC strikes that perfect price/performance/reliability balance, and Samsung’s 850 EVO SSD manages this, and then some.”
“With an affordable SSD, like the BX100, larger capacities are a more realistic prospect.“
“If you’re building the ultimate rig, and want the very best possible performance in any situation, without worrying about the cost, then it’s the 850 Pro you should choose.“
A note on affiliates: some of our stories, like this one, include affiliate links to online stores. These online stores share a small amount of revenue with us if you buy something through one of these links, which help support our work evaluating components and games.