You want a new processor, you’ve checked out our best CPU for gaming guide, and now you need to know the best CPU deals available right now. Well, we can help out with that too.
The processor is the brains of your gaming rig. No matter what you’re running, whether it’s the CPU-intensive Planetside 2 or Minecraft, the processor will be doing all the important number crunching, so you want to make sure you’re getting the right one and for the right money.
- AMD's new generation of Ryzen processors is here. The big dog from the new Ryzen line up is the Ryzen 7 1800X, which will give you 4.0 GHz boost clock. Find one for a great price of £415 at UKTechStore.
- The next step down is the Ryzen 7 1700X, giving you a slightly less clock speed, but saving you a chunk of money. You'll find one today for £324.
- This one is on the lower end of the Ryzen 7 performance line. Still lots of cores and threads, but a lower clock speed. Grab the Ryzen 7 1700 at Laptops Direct for £290.
- In the Ryzen mainstream line we've got the Ryzen 5 1600X, bringing you six cores and twelve threads. It's currently sitting at £240 at eBuyer.
- AMD's really starting to compete in terms of price and performance with its new generation of CPUs. The Ryzen 5 1400 is a budget option, and can be found for £160.
- Hold onto your hats, Intel's newest generation of CPUs Kaby Lake is here with new features, and higher clock speeds. As for the big boy Kaby Lake product, the Core i7-7700K, you'll be paying a premium for that hyperthreading and extra clock speeds. Find a decent deal on one here for £313.
- Here's the high quality Kaby Lake option that a lot of people will be opting for. You won't find many amazing deals on the Core i5-7600K for a while, but here's one for £191.
On the lower end of the Kaby Lake consumer line we have the Core i3-7350K. Only two cores, but hyperthreading makes up for it and the clock speed is nice and high. Grab one for £146 from Alza.
- You can find a healthy £100+ off Intel's Skylake hero product in the i7-6700K on Amazon. New Kaby Lake products are hitting the market, forcing prices of the older hardware down. Find this deal for £307.
Cores - 4 | Threads - 4 | Clockspeed - 3.5GHz | Socket - LGA 1151 | £211
- But if you are after the awesome Skylake Core i5-6600K then you can pick it up at the best price for £211 at Amazon. It has been seen for less than £200 before, but not for a while.
In our guide to the best gaming processors we've picked out our favourite overall gaming CPU, the best high-end option and the best budget processor for gaming. Here are the best prices we've found around the web for each of them today.
"We ended up going with the i7-6850K, given its updated architecture and slightly faster performance, but it's basically a toss-up between that and the i7-5930K."
"The i3-7100 is almost certainly capable of maxing out a GTX 1050 Ti / R9 380 / RX 460 or lower graphics card in most games."
"Gaming performance isn't quite what we hoped for, as it fails to surpass even a Core i5-7600K, but leave the gaming behind and Ryzen 7 has a ton to offer. If you're buying a GTX 1080 Ti and planning on running a high refresh rate 1080p or 1440p display, yes, I'd suggest going with Intel. However, if you also want to do video editing and you don't want to shell out $400 / £400 or more on just the CPU, you might need to reconsider. Plus, for about the same price as the i7-7700K, you can get the Ryzen 7 1700, including a cooler no less—and the great news is that the CPU is still fully unlocked."
A note on affiliates: some of our stories, like this one, include affiliate links to online stores. Some of these online stores share a small amount of revenue with us if you buy something through one of these links, which help support our work evaluating components and games.