We're looking for a staff writer to join our hardware team. If you eat, sleep, and breathe GPUs, benchmarks, PC building, and can turn that passion into great writing, we'd love to hear from you.
As staff writer you'll be responsible for researching and writing content on PC hardware technology subjects for both PCGamer.com’s hardware channel along with monthly contributions to Maximum PC magazine. This is a full-time position, either based in New York, NY or remote.
You’ll cover a wide range of subjects from graphics cards, budget builds, cases, headsets, system reviews, and more. Working to a schedule of regular articles, you’ll produce lively, well-structured and well-researched copy, liaising with editors to ensure you create high-quality content that meets the needs of the readers. You'll generate in-depth buyer’s guides relating to choosing the best products, reviews of products, hardware guides and video guides. You’ll develop new and strengthen existing relationships with hardware vendors and be responsible for managing and editing freelancers, including generating and executing ideas for informative features about hardware trends.
Ideally you're a journalism graduate with fantastic writing and editing skills, and someone who appreciates equally the craftsmanship that goes into making a magazine and the fast-paced job of writing for the web. A good knowledge of the technology industry is essential, in particular PC components and peripherals. We also value experience and enthusiasm for producing video content.
You’ll be a confident reviewer of PCs and PC hardware and ideally have expert knowledge of the hardware market space, including vendors, etailers, and price points. You’ll be able to compose knowledgeable copy and be confident explaining complex subjects so that they're clear and easily understood. You’ll be a team player and have great time-management skills.
If you don't already read PC Gamer's hardware channel, have a look at the stories we produce on pcgamer.com/hardware.
Key role responsibilities
- Deliver quality, relevant and well-written copy to set deadlines as directed by the team editor and/or other senior editorial staff
- Understand and deliver on readers’ needs
- Take responsibility for managing your own workload, liaising with editors in order to meet all your deadlines
- Generate appropriate feature/reviews leads and ideas
- Collaborate with the art team to ensure your articles look great and are coherently presented
- Develop and maintain productive industry, PR and commercial relationships
- Be responsible for and deliver any administrative tasks set by senior staff
- Contribute social media content to an agreed schedule
- Record video-based content as and when directed by the Group Content Manager or other senior editorial staff
- Attend events when required
- Under the direction of the Group Editor-in-Chief, all editorial staff may be asked to work on any of the creative output of the Group. The workload will be measured and sensible.
If you want a chance to write across online and print, we'd love to hear from you. To apply, please submit your CV and a fantastic covering letter telling us why you'd be a great fit for the role.
Note: while the application says based in New York, remote work (during US hours) is also possible.