In seven years, Japan's Bitsummit (opens in new tab) has gone from a tiny showcase of a few western indie games to the premiere festival for indie games in Japan. Its show floor is home to hundreds of games from Japan, the US, and many more countries. And I'm here to play them all. Or as many as I can get my hands on, anyway.
Check back throughout the weekend for write-ups of Bitsummit's coolest games and photos from the event. In the following weeks we'll also have interviews with some of Japan's indie developers about the country's growing indie scene and the slow rise of PC gaming here.
- Shoot 'em up Devil Engine hides demo for its upcoming expansion behind a cheat code (opens in new tab)
- Play Dog Play Tag is an insane party game about using your human as a weapon (opens in new tab)
- Exhausted Man is a deeply relatable game about being too tired to stand up (opens in new tab)
- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is a gorgeous, combo-heavy sidescroller (opens in new tab)
- Sidescroller Seed Hunter pairs a roguelike with Monster Hunter-inspired weapons (opens in new tab)