The juggernaut known as Playerunknown's Battlegrounds shows no sign of slowing down. After selling one million copies in April, only a few weeks after its March 23 release on Early Access, it doubled that number to two million just a month later. And now, less than two months after that, the number has doubled again.
3 months... 4 million copies of @PUBATTLEGROUNDS sold... Thank you all again for your continuing support June 22, 2017
That's an astonishing figure, and especially so for a game that's only 13 weeks into Early Access—and that's all before the arrival of the vaulting, climbing, and diving maneuvers that were announced during the PC Gaming Show at E3, and the upcoming zombies mode that developer Bluehole Inc. revealed last week.
If you want to know how they made Battlegrounds—and made it such a smashing success—check out our feature on its origins and development.
Bluehole also rolled out a new update today that stabilizes server and client performance, and makes a number of bug fixes. Full patch notes are below.
- Resolved an issue with server performance dropping drastically in certain circumstances.
- Improved rendering performance of other characters.
- Improved client performance during ranged combat.
- Improved rendering performance of vehicles, motorbikes, and boats at a distance.
- Improved the rendering performance of weapon effects at a distance.
- Fixed a client crash that occurred when changing character appearance.
- Prevented users from removing shadows by changing Steam launch options.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to fire more ammo than the amount loaded.
- Fixed a bug that caused lung icon to be displayed as full while taking damage due to lack of oxygen underwater.
- Fixed an issue with indoor walls and objects overlapping each other.
- Fixed a bug that caused the wooden doors inside houses to have a metallic gloss.
- Fixed a bug that caused some parts of the clothing to be shown when firing a weapon while aiming down sights, using 4x or higher scopes.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to enter the DBNO state after drowning. You will now die immediately after taking fatal damage from lack of oxygen.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the use of healing items after firing full auto mode.
- Fixed a bug that caused flower beds to be shown incorrectly at a distance.
- Partially fixed a bug that caused a character to be stuck in terrain.
- Partially fixed a bug that caused the camera to pass through some objects.