Fallout 76 is a year old now. At launch in November of 2018, Bethesda's first multiplayer game in the Fallout series was plagued by bugs, balance issues, and a major lack of quintessential Fallout personality. Since then, Fallout 76 has had more updates than there have been months since its release, each bringing something new and important to the wasteland. Fallout 76 now has a Battle Royale mode, a ton of additional options for customizing your player C.A.M.P., and private worlds for subscription members.
Bethesda has been relentless in releasing updates that give players a reason to return to the wasteland. With any luck, the updates will keep coming, as there's no mention of a singleplayer Fallout any time in the known future and we're unlikely to get any indication of one with Bethesda currently working on both Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.
Bethesda published a roadmap for Fallout 76, detailing all of the planned updates and additions to the game for 2019. Check back here for the details on each update as it happens and information on upcoming patches.
Fallout 76 Wastelanders Update - Upcoming
At E3 2019, Bethesda officially announced Wastelanders, which will bring human NPCs back to Appalachia. Seeing human NPCs return to the wasteland for players to interact with has likely been the most-requested feature since launch and easily the most notable feature keeping Fallout 76 from feeling like a real Fallout game.
Wastelanders will add a Fallout 3-style dialogue system (meaning no more generic tonal choices like Fallout 4), companion characters that you can pursue romance with, and new gear and activities.
Fallout 76's Wastelanders update was originally planned for the fall of 2019 but has been delayed to the first quarter of 2020. Bethesda says that the delay will "make sure the work we’re doing hits our quality bar, and yours."
Patch 16 - December 10, 2019
PC Patch Version: 184.108.40.206
PC Patch Size: less than 3GB
Celebrate the holidays with the Scorched
Starting December 12, some of the Scorched will be spreading merriment this holiday season by dressing up in their most festive attire and wrapping presents. Take down these “Holiday Scorched” and they will drop Holiday Gifts for you to unwrap.
Open a Holiday Gift it to see what the Scorched have given you, which may be anything from crafting components to aid items, or even rare plans.
Craft Your Own Holiday Gifts!
Be sure to check in with your favorite Vendors around Appalachia during the Holiday Scorched event, because they are selling Wrapping Paper that you can use to craft Holiday Gifts of your own to give to others.
Holiday Scorched Event Dates:
Starts: Thursday, December 12 at 11:00 a.m. ET
Ends: Thursday, December 26 at 12:00 p.m. ET
Now until December 31, you can bring a little holiday cheer to your C.A.M.P. by unlocking a free Santatron Collectron Station in the Atomic Shop.
Build the Santatron Station in your C.A.M.P. and your jolly Santatron bot will wander the nearby area to look for toys, candy, and other items for you.
In response to community feedback, we have revisited many of our existing Challenges in order to make them more player-friendly and remove others that had too many requirements. These changes will take effect starting January 1, 2020.
New Holiday tunes have been added that will play while you browse the Atomic Shop.
Following community feedback, we have added a new button to Private Worlds mode on the Play Screen so that Private World owners have more choice in how friends can join their World. The button can be toggled between “Team Only” and “All Friends.”
Item Transfer: It is no longer possible to transfer items into a dead enemy’s inventory.
Nuclear Winter Updates
We have added the Flatwoods map back to Nuclear Winter and Candidates can now vote for the map they want to play on during the upcoming match. Map voting begins at the start of each match while Candidates are in Vault 51. Your vote cannot be changed after it is cast.
Halloween-themed Challenges Are Back
Nightmare Preceding Christmas Challenge Dates:
Start Date: Wednesday, December 11 at 7:00pm ET
End Date: Monday, December 16 at 7:00pm ET
Christmas Challenges Unlock Festive Cosmetics
Rewards include wrapped presents for your C.A.M.P. from ZAX, Wrapping Paper Hunting Rifle Paint, a Snowflake Metal Armor Skin, a new outfit, and more, so start racking up Overseer XP to claim them while they’re available.
Christmas Challenge Dates:
Start Date: Tuesday, December 17 at 7:00pm ET
End Date: Monday, January 6 at 7:00pm ET
Festive Vault 51 Decorations
Even ZAX is getting into the spirit of the season, and has adorned Vault 51 with holiday decorations for Candidates to enjoy before they engage in the merciless Overseer selection process.
We’ve updated Nuclear Winter so that the Storm will now automatically constrict the starting area to account for the number of players that begin a match.
- Deployment Selection: A sound effect will now play to notify Candidates that Deployment Selection has begun.
- Emotes: Inside Vault 51, Emote music and sound effects will become quieter or stop playing the farther a Candidate moves away from someone who uses an Emote.
- Overseer Tickets: New sound effects have been added that will play when earning or spending Overseer Tickets in Nuclear Winter.
- Tutorials: New tutorial entries have been added to the Terminals in Vault 51 that offer instructions for the Choose Your Perks, Color-Coded Item Rarity, and Map Voting features.
General Bug Fixes
Art and Graphics
- Graphics: Fixed an issue that could cause the Pip-Boy light to flicker when turning it on or off.
- Graphics: The electric visual effects for The Invader no longer appear black when previewing the weapon at a Workbench.
- Graphics: Fixed a hole in the neck portion of the Makeshift Ronin Helmet.
C.A.M.P., Crafting, and Workshops
- Artillery Piece: Smoke Grenades can now be looted correctly from the container attached to the Artillery Piece.
- Lights: The Light Bulb Letters Set has been moved to the Lights section of the Build Menu.
- Outfits: Ranger Armor Outfits no longer appear craftable in Workbench menus if the owner lacks the materials required to craft them.
- Refrigerator: Toxic Soot Flowers and Frog Legs can now be correctly assigned to Refrigerators.
- Signs: Adjusted several Warning Signs that previously counted toward the maximum Light count in the C.A.M.P. budget.
- Stagger Locks: Added mitigation for an issue in which ranged enemies could repeatedly cripple a player’s limbs, causing multiple stagger animations to play back-to-back. While this issue is now much less likely to occur, it is still possible that you may encounter it. We are investigating a more complete fix for a future update.
- Corpses: Enemy corpses no longer sometimes disappear shortly after death.
- Exploit: Implemented multiple fixes to address exploits that could be abused to create an unfair advantage.
- Exploit: Addressed an exploit related to the Purveyor.
- Jet Packs: No longer activate automatically when performing a normal jump. To activate a Jet Pack, players must release the jump button and then press it again.
- Legendary Weapons: Reloading a weapon that has the “+250 Damage Resistance While Reloading” legendary effect no longer negates the effects of that weapon’s primary legendary attribute.
- Ranged Weapons: Fixed a rare issue in which, under specific circumstances, a player’s ranged weapons could emit a continual humming sound.
- Loot Bags: Loot Bag skins now remain equipped when returning to Adventure Mode after a Nuclear Winter match.
- Outfits: Glasses can now be worn while the Turkey Mascot head is equipped.
- Targeting HUD: Fixed an issue that could prevent players from crafting the X-01 Targeting HUD for their Power Armor.
- Patch 16 brings a large wave of fixes for localization bugs across all aspects of the game for our players around the globe who play Fallout 76 in languages other than English.
Performance and Stability
- Performance: Implemented multiple improvements for server performance.
- Stability: Addressed multiple issues that could result in a server crash.
- Stability: Fixed a server crash related to Player Vending Machines.
- Stability: Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on Xbox One.
Quests and Events
- First Contact: A quest target now appears correctly at Pennington’s location during the First Contact quest.
- Miner Miracles: Players under level 25 who have acquired the Miner Miracles quest no longer receive a pop-up message about the quest’s level requirements every time they log in.
- Monster Mash: After joining Monster Mash, the optional objective to “Use the SMART Vending Machine” will no longer appears over the player’s Survival Tent on the Map.
- Officer on Deck: Fixed an issue that could prevent players from progressing past the “Speak with MODUS” objective.
- Main Menu: On Xbox, switching User Accounts after reaching the Main Menu no longer causes error messages to appear.
- Scrapbox: Fixed an issue that could cause the yellow selection bar to appear twice in the Scrapbox transfer menu.
- Scrap Kits: The prompt that appears when using a Scrap Kit has received updated wording to clarify that Junk which does not scrap automatically will be placed into the Stash.
- Turrets: Corrected placeholder text in the names of the Halloween Machine Gun Turret and Halloween Heavy Machine Gun Turret in C.A.M.P. Build menus.
Nuclear Winter Bug Fixes
- Build: The Scavenger Collectron Station is not useable in Nuclear Winter and will no longer appear placeable in C.A.M.P. menus.
- Exploit: Addressed an exploit that could allow players to remain in Stealth longer than intended.
- Bobbleheads: The description text for Bobblehead: Unarmed in Nuclear Winter now correctly states that it increases damage and no longer displays an incorrect percentage.
- Player Names: Are now correctly displayed during Nuclear Winter matches, even if the “Show Other Players’ Names” setting is turned off.
- Spectator Mode: Updated the “Changing Spectator Target” text that appears in Spectator Mode to “Finding Spectator Target.”
- Subtitles: Corrected subtitles that did not match the voiceover for holotapes found in Vault 51.
- Subtitles: Corrected a typo in the subtitle for one of ZAX’s voice lines.