Destiny 2's next injection of freshly baked content kicks off in the Season of the Chosen on February 9th, bringing the new three-player matchmade Battlegrounds activity and several other additions. As ever, there's a new season pass to work through, new weapons to collect, and a full calendar of events to keep you busy until May.
Battlegrounds is the big item on the list with its three-player ritual combat against the Cabal champions of Empress Caiatl (none other than the daughter of Calus himself). The Devil's Lair and Fallen Saber strikes are making their way over from the original Destiny when the season kicks off on February 9th. Later on in March, you'll be able to jump into the brand new Proving Grounds strike, which appears to take place around a giant tank.
At some point this season you'll be able to participate in an exotic quest for a new Tex Mechanica weapon, though Bungie haven't given out the details on that just yet. We also know that this season will feature three new pieces of exotic armor, and once again these will only be found by doing the higher tier difficulty Lost Sectors. (This time it will be the ones on the Moon.)
Over in our state of Destiny 2 assessment, Phil takes a loot at the bigger picture for the next year of Destiny 2, saying that the upcoming three seasons leading up to the game's next expansion have a lot of prove and a lot of gaps to fill before it gets here.
When is the Season of the Chosen?
Destiny 2's Season of the Chosen runs from February 9th, 2021 - May 11th 2021.
Season of the Chosen roadmap
Bungie has also released this season's roadmap going over the dates for different activities and events. Here's what you can expect to be doing during the Season of the Chosen and when:
- Behemoth and Hailstone Battlegrounds (requires Season of the Chosen)
- Devil's Lair and Fallen Saber strikes open
- Helm comes online
- Stasis aspect quests begin (requires Beyond Light)
February 12 - Trials begins: earn new armor, weapons, and more
February 16 - Cleansing Battleground (requires Season of the Chosen)
- Oracle Battleground (requires Season of the Chosen)
- Iron Banner
- Proving Grounds strike opens for season pass holders
- Iron Banner
- Proving Grounds strike enters playlist for all players
- Proving Grounds nightfall
April 13 - Iron Banner
April 20 - May 9 - Guardian Games
May 7-9 - Guardian Games closing ceremony
Season of the Chosen new exotic
Bungie hasn't revealed yet what the new exotic quest for this season will be but we can expect to find out sometime in the next three months. March is looking pretty open on the seasonal calendar up above, so it's possible we can expect the new exotic quest to kick off sometime in that month.
Season of the Chosen pass details
Like past seasons, the pass for the Season of the Chosen will cost you 1000 silver.
As noted in the season schedule up above, some activities are either exclusive to or available first for season pass holders. Grabbing the season pass will also get you an instant unlock for the Solar Bow Ticuu's Divination, which fires homing arrows, and the Praefectus seasonal armor set. Here's Bungie's full list of perks for season pass owners:
- Battlegrounds Matchmade Activity
- New Exotic Cosmetics
- Umbral Engrams
- New Triumphs and Seals
- Guardian Games
- Iron Banner
- Trials of Osiris
- New Artifact and Mods to Unlock
- Season Progress Track with Unlockable Rewards
- Second Seasonal Progress Track with Additional Rewards at Every Level
- Exotic Bow, Ticuu's Divination, Instantly Unlocked
- Praefectus Seasonal Armor Set Instantly Unlocked
- Bonus Seasonal XP
- Exotic Weapon Quest
- Exotic Catalyst Quest
- One Week Early Access to Proving Grounds Strike
- Additional Exotic Ship, Sparrow, and Ghost Shells
- Complete Suite of Prismatic Recaster Focusing Features
Over on Bungie's Season of the Chosen page, you can scroll down to preview the reward track unlocks for the free and premium tiers this season.