The free-to-play Modern Warfare battle royale spinoff Call of Duty: Warzone got a new way to play today with the addition of solos, a mode that's pretty much the same as the original, except—as the name suggests—it's now everyone for themselves.
Mechanically, not much has changed. Players drop onto the map with a pistol and a few bullets, and from there can acquire intel, scrounge for weapons, complete contracts, and do their best to kill each other dead. The circle will close in as it normally does, and if you're knocked out, you'll still be sent to the Gulag to battle for the opportunity to redeploy— if you blow it there, you're out for good.
- Intel is Your Best Teammate. Along with paying attention to the Tac Map and Compass, be especially thorough about finding, and equipping, reconnaissance tools such as the Recon Drone, Heartbeat Monitor, and UAV.
- Same Gulag. Same Player Count. No Buybacks. You only have one life to live in Solos. Make it count, both in the Gulag and out in Verdansk.
- Consider Picking Up Contracts. This especially goes for Recon Contracts, as in Solos, the station capture time is halved compared to other modes. Complete Contracts and get Cash to further build up your loadout at Buy Stations.
- Stay Down. Self-Revive Kits are in Solos. If it’s getting late into a game and you’re wary of an enemy after knocking them to zero health, double check that they are out for good before moving on.
- Learn from Your Solos. While you may have less of a chance at winning Solos, take the lessons you learn into your next game with the squad. Who knows? A few Solos matches could be the difference between losing your next Battle Royale trios game and a hard-fought victory.
Solos is also a good way to practice your killer skills, because you can explore the map and play with guns, equipment, and perks without fear of annoying your squadmates, who might actually want to win. "With only your senses and your HUD to rely on, a Solos match can offer a trial-by-fire that can provide plenty of learning experiences for your future drops," Activision said.
Call of Duty: Warzone's solos mode is live now. If you're just getting into the game, be sure to catch our guide to the Verdansk map, as well as our guide to tweaking your settings to maximize performance.