Finding the best Skyrim mods isn't exactly easy: there are more than 50,000 of mods for Bethesda's fantasy RPG, and the list keeps on growing. Just about any change you can imagine has been made by someone, along with hundreds of hours of new content, and there's no sign the modding well has dried up yet.
We're constantly revisiting and revising our list of the best mods for Skyrim, so if we're missing a few of your favorites feel free make a case for them in the comments. Mods added in the latest update of this list have been marked with a ⭐.
One final word: some mods on our list require other mods to work, some require special steps to install and use, and some mods conflict with one another. Be sure to read the mod page for each carefully for instructions on how to install and use them.
Table of contents
- Patches, optimization, and UI: A grab bag of useful improvements.
- Visual overhauls and weather: Make the game look beautiful.
- Quests and new locations: New adventures and new lands.
- Roleplaying, survival, and immersion: Find different ways to play.
- Creatures and animals: Some improved, some entirely new.
- Equipment and animation: Armor, weapons, and custom accessories.
- NPCs: Changes to the other characters, plus some new ones.
- Magic, combat, and skills: Soup up your sorcery, pep up your perks.
- Tools and utilities: The best ways to install, organize, and use these mods.