UK Publisher: NCSoft
US Publisher: NCSoft
Developer: Carbine Studios
Age Rating: ESRB |
WildStar is the long-awaited MMO from Carbine Studios, founded in 2005 with the express purpose of creating a "WoW-killer". The rest of the industry has toned down its PR rhetoric since then - for the longest time, WoW's dominance has proved unassailable. WildStar's devs, however, still have that same pugilistic confidence when talking about their sci-fi MMORPG. It's certainly got colour and character in spades, with a Firefly vibe to the outback planet on which it's set, and a vibrant sense of caricature. The mechanics hold promise, too, with their elaborate spread of classes and careers that radically alter the direction of your game.
VerdictRead the review
Clever questing and a stand-out combat system make for an entertaining MMO that's as large as it is full of character.
Latest on WildStar
I've been playing Wildstar since headstart access began on Saturday. Like Phil, who's detailing his experiences in our review in ...
- Wildstar's new DevSpeak video details customisation of all kinds
- How WildStar will motivate you to play with your guild
- WildStar trailer details the mech-loving Engineer
- WildStar's class round-up series continues with the Stalker
- WildStar dev video reveals interdimensional magic space cowboy, the Spellslinger
- Wildstar trailer introduces the mental manipulation of the Esper class
- WildStar video explains "ability mechanics", blog update reveals new mission type
- Wildstar trailer casts stun, explains crowd control while you're disabled
- Wildstar to use monthly subscription model, plus EVE style "play-to-pay" system
- WildStar trailer reveals inevitable race of cute rodent people