The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Bethesda
US Publisher: Bethesda
Age Rating: ESRB Mature | PEGI 18
It's not the story, the dragons or the FUS RO DAH that makes The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim an essential open world RPG - it's the landscape. Set in the Northern part of Tamriel, Skyrim is a majestic and beautiful natural environment pockmarked with valleys and enriched by mountain ranges, which inspires a sense of heroism simply by existing in it.
Technologically, this isn't a huge leap forward from Oblivion, but artistically it's on another plane, making up for that game's relative blandness with a world where a stunning skyline or vista is almost always waiting around the next corner.
VerdictRead the review
A vast and gorgeous world of exciting possibilities, fascinating places, engrossing adventures and flying lizards.
Latest on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
As an animal lover, it sometimes bothers me to have to slaughter so much wildlife in video games, particularly in ...
- Mod of the Week: Skyrim Unbound
- Mod of the Week: Undeath, for Skyrim
- Mod of the Week: Gifts of the Outsider, for Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls Anthology bundles every mudcrab, dragon, and potato-faced human
- Skyrim mod gallery: flying boats, fresh landscapes and flaming horses
- Mod of the Week: Helgen Reborn, for Skyrim
- Skyrim gets giant colossi-like creatures thanks to the amazing Here There Be Monsters mod
- Mod of the Week: Enhanced Mighty Dragons, for Skyrim
- Skyrim's 1.9 update now in beta - brings "legendary" features
- Skyrim HD Texture Pack update includes Dragonborn, Hearthfire, Dawnguard