With over 50,000 mods for Bethesda's RPG, and more added every day, finding the best Skyrim mods isn't exactly easy. Just about any change, tweak, and fix you can imagine has been made by some enterprising modder, along with hundreds of hours of original content, and there's no sign the modding well has dried up yet.
We're revisiting and revising our list of the best mods for Skyrim all the time, so if we're missing a few of your favorites feel free make a case for them in the comments. Mods added in the most recent update of this list have been marked with a ⭐.
Table of contents
- Patches, optimization, and UI: A grab bag of useful improvements.
- Visual overhauls and weather: Make the game look beautiful.
- Quests and new locations: New adventures and new lands.
- Roleplaying, survival, and immersion: Find different ways to play.
- Creatures and animals: Some improved, some entirely new.
- Equipment and animation: Armor, weapons, and custom accessories.
- NPCs: Changes to the other characters, plus some new ones.
- Magic, combat, and skills: Soup up your sorcery, pep up your perks.
- Tools and utilities: The best ways to install, organize, and use these mods.