Team Fortress 2
UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Valve
US Publisher: Valve
Age Rating: ESRB Mature | PEGI 16
First, there was Team Fortress, a class-based multiplayer team shooter mod for Quake. Then there was Team Fortress Classic, a port of that mod into Valve's GoldSrc engine (itself a heavily modified version of Quake's tech). Valve eventually hired the mod's creators and, in 2007, Team Fortress 2 was released alongside Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 as part of the Orange Box. It was, and remains, one of the most entertaining online shooters ever made.
In summer 2011 Valve announced that Team Fortress 2 would was going free to play, and would be entirely supported by the sale of in-game microtransactions, primarily hats. The Mann-Conomy update allowed players to create and sell their own hats in the item store. Some item creators have since reportedly taken home annual sums of up to half a million dollars in profit, making Team Fortress 2 a landmark experiment in microtransactions and user-created updates.
It's also a superb multiplayer shooter. Its nine characterful classes offer entirely different experiences, whether you prefer to heal behind the front lines as a Medic, stealth in close as the Spy or snipe from distant balconies as the Sniper. All personalities and play styles are catered for, and the addition of hundreds and hundreds of additional in-game loadout items have still failed to dilute the personality that made Team Fortress 2 an instant player favourite on launch day.
VerdictRead the review
A brilliant, ever-evolving multiplayer shooter. three years on and Team Fortress 2 is better and cheaper than ever.
Latest on Team Fortress 2
As is it wasn't already obvious, hats are hugely profitable. Back in July 2013, we learned that workshop creators have collectively ...
- Team Fortress 2 update kicks off their fifth Halloween event, adds spells, ghosts, and Helltower
- Team Fortress 2's next Halloween update on the way, in the meantime, here's a comic
- Team Fortress 2 now accepting Halloween item submissions
- Team Fortress 2 comic released, isn't tied to an impending update
- The importance of being idle: the weird and wonderful world of Team Fortress 2 idle servers
- Team Fortress 2 makes work for idle hands with item drop update
- Team Fortress 2 update released, bringing new maps, balance changes, and Summer keys
- Team Fortress 2 update to buff banners, nerf ringers, and split item sets
- Team Fortress 2 item set aims to raise money for SpecialEffect
- Team Fortress 2 Workshop creators have collectively earned a staggering $10m