UK Release Date:
US Release Date:
UK Publisher: Mojang
US Publisher: Mojang
Age Rating: ESRB Everyone | PEGI 7
It can be hard to imagine a time before Minecraft, before the unassuming voxel-based craft-'em-up quietly took over the entire world. The phenomenon taps into our need to create, our need to build, our need to destroy, not forgetting our need to give a man and his iconic hat rather a lot of money.
Minecraft didn't invent procedural generation, but it was at the forefront of its revival this generation, allowing for endless exploration and discovery inside its randomly generated worlds. Its popularity inspired a raft of copycats and the odd genuinely great crafting sandbox but Mojang's game has yet to be bettered - and it's constantly being improved.
VerdictRead the review
Intuitively interesting and contagiously fun, with an unparalleled scope for creativity and memorable experiences.
Latest on Minecraft
Remember when the good folks at the Danish Geodata Agency recreated all of Denmark inside the blocky world of Minecraft? ...
- Minecraft continues to produce spectacular things: here's an in-game 3D printer
- Minecraft has sold over 13 million copies
- Minecraft Twitch streaming integration pre-released
- Minecraft: The Story of Mojang now available to watch on YouTube
- Minecraft 1.7 gets pre-released, will change the world on Friday
- Games and art: Minecraft at the London Victoria & Albert museum
- Minecraft map of Great Britain created by Ordnance Survey
- Mojang team up with the Victoria and Albert Museum for the World of Minecraft
- Mod of the Week: Galacticraft, for Minecraft
- Minecon 2013 announced, and the location is...