Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#21   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uchua View Post
    Third person as in you click on a target then click a "fire" button and it does it itself or third person shooter sort of like Fallout 3?
    No.

Check out my post on it in my list - Third Person Shooter/First Person Shooter section. It's a shooter. You can play in 3rd person or 1st person. You click and it shoots and if you hit them they lose HP and so on and so on.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    No.

Check out my post on it in my list - Third Person Shooter/First Person Shooter section. It's a shooter. You can play in 3rd person or 1st person. You click and it shoots and if you hit them they lose HP and so on and so on.
    Ya that's what I meant by is it like Fallout 3, not exactly the same but it's the same general concept. Point, Click, They Die.

Radeon Rules
    CompTIA A+ Certified
    CompTIA Network+ Certified

-------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core
    MOBO: Asus M4N78 PRO
    RAM: 5.5 GB (2x2 GB OCZ, 1 GB Kingston, .5 GB Samsung)
    HDD: 1TB Hitachi
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Ya that's what I meant by is it like Fallout 3, not exactly the same but it's the same general concept. Point, Click, They Die.
    I never played Fallout 3 so that's lost on me. I think it's a very well made FPS/MMORPG. The building/crafting and loot system seems very well tailored to the theme of sci-fi future and some of the nmes are pretty unique to get engaged with.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM

I'm going to suggest something that is a bit flawed, so it's best played in bite sized lumps, but as you are looking for a MMO I'm assuming you have lots of gaming time available. If you do, then slotting in a few hours here and there, when you are in the mood, won't be a problem.

The game is called "Mythos" and it's a free Diablo style top down / third person hack and slash. It was made by the same guys who made "Torchlight", but they made "Mythos" first, and then released "Torchlight" during development to make a bit of money. The guys also made Diablo 1 and 2, so that's why I say it's a Diablo type MMO.

So, why is it flawed and how badly? Well it feels dated and it's not complete, so I have had to grind here and there when the content was lacking, but everything in it works so think of it as a very advanced open Beta.

Some aspects of the game probably score 4 out of 10, but they are redeemed by the core game play, which is the hypnotically soothing click, click, click of kill, kill, loot and sell. Clearing a dungeon is fun. Anyone would enjoy it, but that's the problem, because that's about all you are doing. It has an intricate crafting sytem, and last time I looked I had over a 100 items of raw material, but you don't really need to craft anything. It's a bit of light fun to figure it out and have a go, but your life does not depend on it. Likewise the challenge. You simply won't die at the lower levels, unless you make a huge mistake, and a lack of challenge makes it tedious. As for the MMO part, well everyone just treats it like a sp game and at level 20, I have not bothered to team up with anyone or even talk to anyone, as I can solo every dungeon pitched at my level or slightly higher. Yes, I could team up with a bunch of people to do a very high level dungeon, but I would not be able to equip the loot, and I don't need the money, so why bother?

It feels like it dates from around the time that Titan Quest and Sacred were made, as the graphics have that sort of a feel to them, although the above ground world of both TQ and Sacred were far superior in every way to that of Mythos. The above ground world of Mythos is just a device to hang all the thousands of dungeons from. The game comes to life below ground though, as the dungeons randomly generate, and there are almost an infinite number of abandoned mines, crypts, etc, so you are going to have a lot of fun clearing them before you tire of them.

As for the central story, quests, etc, well that left me utterly cold, and I long since just click on question marks and exclamation marks without registering why. They are all tedious go kill / go fetch type quests, but as your typical dungeon has three different levels to it, finding your target can be tricky, so my default action is simply to clear every dungeon I am in, and when you are doing that, it really doesn't matter why you are doing it, as you are bound to complete the quest objective. The dungeons have loads of cannon fodder types, various bosses, and uber loot that can randomly drop anywhere, but there is always uber loot located on the bottom floor of every dungeon in a chest. Problem is that the key to the chest could be anywhere, hence tending to clear all three levels and the entire dungeon, as that way you guarantee to complete whatever quest you are on, plus find the key, plus find any random uber loot that might drop anywhere.

So, it's fun to play for a bit in bite sized chunks, but there are far better games to play than this. I have loads of gaming time, and love Diablo type games, so I have been happy to play it for a bit, and anyone who liked "Torchlight" should give it a quick go, as you will spot loads of the themes that were developed or simply carried over into Torchlight, and a few of the themes that will probably pop up in "Torchlight 2".

The June edition of PCG in the UK, (issue 227), has Mythos on the disc, and if you don't have that, then download from here:

[url]http://www.mythos-europe.com/en/index.html[/url]

If I had to pay for this, then I wouldn't, as it's not good enough. However it's free. It's hack and slash, and it's fun.

Regards - Mr P

Last edited by Evil Plum; 06-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 01:02 AM

Well so far I've given A.V.A. and Spiral Knights a try, still am downloading Global Agenda, and I'll be sure to check out Mythos. Any more suggestions are welcomed as I'm on summer break and now have about 20 hours a day to do whatever I want, which is mainly additional school work to basically skip next year and video gaming.

Radeon Rules
    CompTIA A+ Certified

#26   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
    Well so far I've given A.V.A. and Spiral Knights a try, still am downloading Global Agenda, and I'll be sure to check out Mythos. Any more suggestions are welcomed as I'm on summer break and now have about 20 hours a day to do whatever I want, which is mainly additional school work to basically skip next year and video gaming.
    Hit my list and explore other genres - There are plenty of offbeat MMOs to choose from.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
    Doesn't have to be an RPG I'm just looking for decent, free MMOs
    City of Heroes is going that way, too.

Personally, I don't think you're going to find a good MMO that is free. None of the Free-to-play MMOs are really free. You can't make money giving away the good stuff.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zloth View Post

Personally, I don't think you're going to find a good MMO that is free. None of the Free-to-play MMOs are really free. You can't make money giving away the good stuff.
    Eh that's partially true. Anarchy Online is "free" and I used to play it constantly, but unfortunately they pull this crap where after you've gone from free to play to a membership once that membership runs out it locks you out of your account. Not a big deal unless you've vested roughly hundreds of hours into like I did over the 3-4 years I played it. There's also other 'free' MMOs, they just have an item mall/store/shop/etc. where they sell a bunch of extra/cool/over-powered crap.

Radeon Rules
    CompTIA A+ Certified

#29   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zloth View Post

Again this is not true for ALL F2P MMOs. Not all of them run the same way.

I played LOTRO and went to the max level and never dropped a dime and unlocked all of the content in a relatively fast fashion. Great story line. Great quest and good challenging bosses.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 AM

Why only 20 hours a day to do whatever you want? Sleep is for wimps.

Ok, seeing as you have enough free time, I would highly recommend a free RPG called, "Nehrim". It's a total world conversion of Oblivion, and when I say total conversion, I mean that it converts absolutely everything. All the annoying stuff that was in Oblivion is gone. The geography, landscape, world, law, character, quests, world, etc, in "Nehrim" is all brand new. Its by far the most ambitious, impressive and well executed MOD I have ever played.

If you ignore the world and everything in it, you could probably blast through the main quest in about 50 hours. Assuming you are curious enough to wander about a bit and try some side quests, then you are looking at 150+ hours of content and gameplay.

As it's a MOD its free, but you do need a copy of Oblivion to make it work. The US version of PCG voted it MOD of the year in 2010, it has won loads of other awards, and is an absolute treat if you like open world RPG.

Unfortunately it does have one slight drawback, which is that it starts inside a very dark mine, and the darkness and frustration in escaping put a lot of new players off. It's by far the weakest part of the game, but all you have to do is brighten your screen if you can't see enough, or read a walkthrough if completely stuck, but once you do escape the mine, the game world opens up, and you have the freedom to go anywhere and do anything, providing you can fight / stealth your way through. In fact you will probably stick with the main plot for a bit, as the world is so huge and so hostile, it helps to establish a base and level up a bit, before becoming to adventurous.

The MOD is a remarkable achievement, and well up to professional standards, and it's the game that many of us who loved Morrowind wished Oblivion had been. The game does not therefore hold your hand, but will instead often force you to think. There are usually multiple solutions to any given issue, as the game has layers, upon layers of depth to it, which you can manipulate to your advantage, depending upon what choices you make.

It is therefore a challenging game, so it will jar badly if you expect it to be as easy as Oblivion. It's not. It has far more in common with games like Morrowind / Gothic / Risen, so even the wild animals will cheerfully rip your head off if you don't treat them with a bit of respect. Likewise with the NPC, as you will have to learn how to combat different foes and with what. It's not simply a case of waving a sword at bad things, and expecting them to eventually fall over. If you engage your brain, then it's an absolute delight to pick your way through the game, but save often, as this is not the cozy/safe world of Oblivion, and unexpected or violent things will frequently happen to your character as you travel through this fascinating world.

Last but not least the main plot is certainly very different to the usual RPG tripe, as it ponders on an age old philosophical question. The game was made by Germans, so they picked a quote from Beethoven to kick it off, but all cultures of all nations, have explored the central theme. I won't spoil it for you as the main plot and your choices in it will twist and turn its way through an exploration of that theme.

Thinking about it, you are going to need the walkthrough at some point plus more info if intrigued / interested, so go here:

[url]http://nehrim.wikia.com/wiki/Nehrim_Wiki[/url]

If you want to download the game, go here:

[url]http://www.nehrim.de/dataEV.html[/url]

Regards - Mr P

Tags

decent graphics, free, mmo