Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft > US Server

#41   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jpang

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernalk View Post
    1 block towers. Rule fail as they're everywhere. If a rule is not going to be upheld then it shouldn't be a rule any more.
    Ranks are petty. Mod, admins and builders are all that's required. Admins run the server, mods moderate in lieu of the admins and builders build. Why is all the other guff really necessary?
    City building - really? Most of the "cities" are a few patchwork buildings constructed around one or more player's ego. The ones that exist on the server that are genuinely more than just a settlement are generally teamwork around a core of 1-3 planners who manage their towns rather than just boss people about. Besides, some areas have organically developed around an initial building rather than being a planned community - saying that only people of a certain brevet can even start work building their own place is madness.

Say I just walk out into the wilderness, find a patch of empty ground far from anywhere and start building. I show it to a friend and they start building there too. I'm offline for a couple of days and see that more have built around my place, and then what - I'm to be banned or demoted because I've inadvertently started a "city" without being an architect etc?

Some of these rules are getting a little petty an unnecessarily complicated. This a build server, for building on. Don't grief, don't build where other people claimed and try to avoid offending people.

Well the thing about one block towers is that they are annoying. They are just unnecessary. Since we have the rule about one block towers, people do not build them AS MUCH. Think about it, if we did not have that rule. people would AUTOMATICALLY think that it would be OK to build them, and they would be constantly popping up everywhere.

Some rules have to be put out there so MOST of the people don't do the opposite thing. If the rule wasn't there, people would be ignorant. And when someone would tell them not to do it, they would say that there wasn't a rule. In my POV, I think rules should be set out there even though some people will not follow them, because most of the people will.
      #42   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dilinnout View Post
    I think there should be a group lower than default or the group of shame where those inside it can't build or access commands such as tools, kits, and warping. So we can use it to deal with griefers or people like dperrea. It could also be temporary for when players are in jail possibly?
    Defaults can't build.
      #43   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM

What did dperrea do?
      #44   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 09:56 PM

I think we may have started to come to a consensus, Cities with warps should only be administered by VIPs or higher, and that we might want to add a new Architect rank to designate that.

Building of new cities or collective, communes, etc. can be done by anyone builder or higher but they shouldn't expect a warp. (Warps are getting out of hand anyway, just so many of them and some near others)

Art is a free expression and only city rules can designate where art can or cannot be within their boundaries.

Plus there seems to be almost an even divide between server reset and not reset. What is the point of restarting the server if some buildings get cut and pasted over? I say we start clean with a fresh reset, new seed and all, or just stay the way we are until November when the game leaves Beta.
      #45   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Raz nailed it.

I think, in general, rules should only be put in place when they're fixing a present problem, and then should be the minimum necessary to fix said problem. Of course, I tend to think that in life, not just minecraft, lol.

The only thing that still seems open that I have left to comment on is the ranks. Kernalk was right in my opinion, excessive ranks seem unnecessary. Following my "black and white" vein, there should be distinct differences in privileges between ranks, so where no difference exists no rank should exist. ie: Ranks would be Default, Builder, Architect (Controls a city with a warp), Moderator, Admin. Anything else is superfluous.

I should stay away from this thread. It makes me write walls of text. :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm still pro-reset.
    EDIT PS: For the record, as the host of a fairly popular Garry's Mod server, I find that 3-1 is generally a better ratio for mods - admins, but that's just a petty note.

Last edited by Manic_Oppressive; 06-25-2011 at 10:37 PM.
      #46   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 AM

i also agree wit raza.
    earlier jexx said tht their needs to be more mods. well if no one mind me saying i think it should be jpang and etnica. they both are on regularly. they both are helpful. just saying if any one should be mods in my opinon its them.
      #47   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM

I am a newbie but I'd like to chime in that the amount of abandoned property in some cities is notorious. Cities with no leaders will always become abandoned property which according to the current rules is disallowed to mess with. Maybe there should be a rank that is in charge of cleaning abandoned property so the server is always fresh and new (and these resets don't need to happen in the first place?)
      #48   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Why on earth do we need another rank to do this? Mods and admins can currently do this! If that's not moderation or administration, what is it?

K.I.S.S.!
      #49   Report Post  
    Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM

I feel that change is not really needed exept that there may need to be a few more mods, and warps sould be cleaned up and defined by mods. Bad building, bad cities are just side effects of a building server and you can't stop them by ruining the avalbilty of the server.

Last edited by Bas21741; 06-30-2011 at 01:58 PM.