Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#21   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
    Banned

EA don't exactly have a good track record compared to Valve so I think I will stick with purchasing games on Steam until Origin goes the same way as Games For Windows Live.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    EA don't exactly have a good track record compared to Valve...
    As I recall, when Steam first appeared it was a piece of crap. Many people had problems with it, screwing them over quite nicely. Whether I like it or loathe it is irrelevant for the moment. The fact is over the last 8 years people kept flocking to it because they wanted to play the games, and Valve continued to work on it.

If EA does something similar with Origin (i.e. it starts off rocky, but they work to improve it) where is the problem?
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    If EA does something similar with Origin (i.e. it starts off rocky, but they work to improve it) where is the problem?
    Monopoly sounds pretty bad.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM

It's a sensible approach for them, why have someone else's store page pop up every time they start up your game when they could be looking at your store page instead.

I imagine Origin will follow in Steam/Impulse's footsteps and allow their 'exclusive' games to be sold at retail and other online retailers that don't come bundled with a store, while allowing the game to be activated with Origin for patching/extra content.

It's interesting how people want all their games in one place. I used to think that too and I'm not quite sure what changed my mind, but now I just go for the best deal I can get. Sod brand loyalty to a store, if they start putting decent sales up then I'll buy it from Origin and if they try to force any stupid drm or pricing schemes then I'll ignore it.

Last edited by Jaras; 06-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

well i got mass effect 2 on origin as i already owned dragon age 2. when i go to my games folder and start the game from there it doesn't load up origin which means, origin is a download service and you don't need it open to play games.
    Corsair Vengence Red 8GB
    Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
    Seagate 500GB HDD
    Seagate 1TB HDD
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Monopoly sounds pretty bad.
    Yes, I agree.

But it seems to me that most of the people complaining about this don't care about a monopoly, provided it's a Steam monopoly.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    As I recall, when Steam first appeared it was a piece of crap. Many people had problems with it, screwing them over quite nicely. Whether I like it or loathe it is irrelevant for the moment. The fact is over the last 8 years people kept flocking to it because they wanted to play the games, and Valve continued to work on it.

Well that's a major plus in Valve's favour then, since they've had all those years to iron out all of Steam's flaws and gain masses of experience. I'm not about to be signing up to a no doubt buggy and irksome Origin when EA can't even prevent their systems getting hacked.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Nice link to Exophase.

Part of me thinks that given the number of replies pertaining to pirating EA games makes us deserve the DRM we get.
    Are these people fucking stupid? What do they think casual visitors to forums seeking info will presume when they get to the replies section. Way to fend off those stereotypes guys. Honestly shooting them would be too kind.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alberthammond View Post
    Nice link to Exophase.

Part of me thinks that given the number of replies pertaining to pirating EA games makes us deserve the DRM we get.
    Are these people fucking stupid? What do they think casual visitors to forums seeking info will presume when they get to the replies section. Way to fend off those stereotypes guys. Honestly shooting them would be too kind.
    This has nothing to do with DRM. This is about exclusiveness of certain titles. It's like making a movie but only displaying it in certain brands of cinema/theatre for twice the normal price.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunatitch View Post
    This has nothing to do with DRM.
    No, but the people saying "I'll just pirate it" instead of what they should be saying (which is "I won't buy or play the game") is to do with DRM.