Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Angry Guess what? I'll still be playing TOR, ME3 and BF3.

Yea, I don't like the idea of having to use both Origin and Steam for games, but not for one second am I going to kid myself and say that I won't buy them because of it.

And all of you who are claiming that you are going to boycott BF3, when a few weeks ago you were shouting its praises, are you really going to pass it up simply because its distributed through a different service? Somehow, I think not.

If anything, we should be glad that Origin is pushing its way into the market and giving Steam some competition. Competition = Lower prices, which, last time I checked, is a GOOD THING. Yes, your games library will be split, but you can still link them into Steam to access the community and have them launch from one place.

Oh, and are you all forgetting about boxed copies? If you really hate the idea of having to use Origin so much, just go buy it off Amazon!

Yes, it is an inconvenience, but NOTHING MORE. They aren't asking you to switch OSs or something ridiculous. Its not the end of the world. Stop acting like it.

EDIT:

I just got this off of the SWTOR forums. According to Stephen Reid,

Quote:
    While Origin will be the exclusive digital retailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic (in other words, if you want to buy it online and download it, you’ll do so through Origin) that does not mean that Origin is required for you to access or play The Old Republic.

Origin is a digital storefront, and the desktop application is there to give you quick access to Origin exclusives and deals.

However, you won’t need to launch the Origin application to run The Old Republic, nor will you patch the game via Origin. Once the game is on your hard disk, you’ll be connecting to our servers to patch and launch the game, and Origin does not have to be running to do that.

To answer another question - boxed versions of the game will include the client on DVD(s).
    Linky:
    [url]http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6823172#edit6823172[/url]

Last edited by Jordan; 06-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
    Banned

As will I. Apart from ME3 cause i found ME 2 repetative and boring. I will just buy ToR from a shop as I would any other game. EA > Valve anyway.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 PM

I always buy my games in boxes anyway, but even so I'm going to buy those games because they're going to be great fun.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM

I've already got Origins installed on my pc, so it's not really much of a problem for me.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 PM

There's no way in hell I would intentionally miss out on BF3 or ME3.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM

The boycott isn't just because of the Origin exclusive digital distribution, it's also because of the pre-order bonus's issue.

As for my personal opinion on the subject, if it's a game I love and support, I wouldn't care what service it's distributed on, i'd still buy it to play it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Oh, and are you all forgetting about boxed copies? If you really hate the idea of having to use Origin so much, just go buy it off Amazon!
    It depends, they may work like steamworks, i.e. you have to register them through that service. See latest example, Duke Nukem Forever.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM

I like Origin. I can add my CD-Keys to Origin and get a free downloadable copy of my EA game. Plus the speeds are consistent unlike Steam.

Using Steam I fluctuate from my standard 1.5 Mbit down to 200 Kb to 800 kb down to 600kb and back up to 1.5. Get's annoying.

I think Steam is growing faster than Valve can keep up.

As to the pre-order DLC issue. Really? So a couple of weapons with diff skins and slightly different stats that will be out classed by leveling up a bit calls for a boycott? People are such cry babies these days. If it was missing single player levels I'd be pretty upset then. Because that would make sense to be upset at...like you know Deus Ex is doing? I'm still buying it but where is the boycott for that?
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I don't have an issue with Origins. I don't have an issue with multiple clients running on my machine. I have issues with asinine market practices.

Will I get BF3? Yes. Will it be directly from Origins? I doubt it.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vitalogy11 View Post
    As to the pre-order DLC issue. Really? So a couple of weapons with diff skins and slightly different stats that will be out classed by leveling up a bit calls for a boycott? People are such cry babies these days. If it was missing single player levels I'd be pretty upset then. Because that would make sense to be upset at...like you know Deus Ex is doing? I'm still buying it but where is the boycott for that?
    I guess it's more of an aggressive stance towards the pre-order bonus marketing strategy that these people are taking. I guess it's because they see that if it's massively successful, then it will be implemented further in the future and other publishers will follow suit (although I'm sure these sort of non-cosmetic pre-order bonus offers have been employed in the past). Therefore they want to make a stand against it and prevent this sort of thing happening in the future.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkynaz View Post
    The boycott isn't just because of the Origin exclusive digital distribution, it's also because of the pre-order bonus's issue.

As for my personal opinion on the subject, if it's a game I love and support, I wouldn't care what service it's distributed on, i'd still buy it to play it.

It depends, they may work like steamworks, i.e. you have to register them through that service. See latest example, Duke Nukem Forever.
    I'm aware of that boycott as well, I was just referring to the people who are saying they won't buy EA games (including BF3) simply because it is tied to origin.

I know TOR's boxed copy has been confirmed to not use Origin. As for the others, until we get an announcement we can't assume one way or the other.