Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chewwie View Post
    Hunter solo strategy is so very different to raiding strategy. Don't fall into the trap which most hunters do (I did it): BM right to 80, then joins raids. You'll be worse than useless imo and know very little about your class.
    Exactly what happened with my hunter too. Almost felt like playing a new class because I was so used to BM and it's awesomeness. Took a few random heroics doing embarrassingly low DPS to start getting to grips with Survival, so in hindsight wish I'd dual specced and survival DPS'd through all the Northrend normal dungeons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belara View Post
    hunters require the most relearning of your class once you get to 80 (though I forsee a similar kind of disconnect when I get my mage to 80 and have to dump my cherished frost levelling spec to get into raids)
    Don't worry Bel, I hear that Arcane isn't the most complicated of rotations
    "Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield..."

LOLWUT
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foosfighting View Post
    Exactly what happened with my hunter too. Almost felt like playing a new class because I was so used to BM and it's awesomeness. Took a few random heroics doing embarrassingly low DPS to start getting to grips with Survival, so in hindsight wish I'd dual specced and survival DPS'd through all the Northrend normal dungeons.

Don't worry Bel, I hear that Arcane isn't the most complicated of rotations
    Is BM not raid viable at all? I estimate that MM is probably leader with survival next but surely all specs are raid viable?

FTR I've dual specced with BM/SV when lvlling Wolv. I dont think it really hurt in the grand scheme of things.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenbeermonkey View Post
    Is BM not raid viable at all? I estimate that MM is probably leader with survival next but surely all specs are raid viable?

FTR I've dual specced with BM/SV when lvlling Wolv. I dont think it really hurt in the grand scheme of things.
    I think BM was quite a way behind SV & MM when I hit 80. I hear though that it's not quite as bad now if you have lots of ArPen
    "Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield..."

LOLWUT
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Apparently at high gear levels (lots of ArPen like Foos said) and if you know precisely what you're doing, it's not too far behind survival. But if you are at the point where you're stacking arpen, you'll get much more out of MM anyway. It'd be also kind of boring to play I'd imagine, since high arpen means dropping arcane shot from your rotation, which leaves multi/aimed shot(if you're specced) as your only special shot. It's viable in that it won't make the raid hit the enrage timers where overall performance and gear suggest they shouldn't - if you're really good.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belara View Post
    Apparently at high gear levels (lots of ArPen like Foos said) and if you know precisely what you're doing, it's not too far behind survival. But if you are at the point where you're stacking arpen, you'll get much more out of MM anyway. It'd be also kind of boring to play I'd imagine, since high arpen means dropping arcane shot from your rotation, which leaves multi/aimed shot(if you're specced) as your only special shot. It's viable in that it won't make the raid hit the enrage timers where overall performance and gear suggest they shouldn't - if you're really good.
    Well i know that i'm certainly not. i was just interested on BM' status as a raid spec.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Default changing the subject a little...

I have a strong very strong tolerance of getting abuse lol and i have found it more now than ever and kinda find it highly amusing and i chuckle nearly falling off my chair ,,but saying that the other night was the worst i have experienced.

A fast tank who has the higher gear score and is obsessed with pointing it out, it runs into a dung pulling 2 nearly 3 mobs without warning leaving dps and healers behind thinking there was a fire ... makes a comment to the hunters in the group when wiped saying we are the the worst kind of nightmare hunters for tanks or healers damn didnt think i was that bad:P , despite the rest of the run the arguements wth the healer the whole way through ...I am not used to manic hc runs and i guess i just couldnt keep up, it had been a long old day and was only meant to be a fun run!!

I have a set to focus with a macro on all the tanks for MD i ever raid and dung with. BUT FOR any reason my screen is overrun with mobs and my add ons and I CANT SEE the tank how the hell can i be analling hitting his target when i cant see his target, i just opted for the old MD and volley! Which i know is the lazy way out and i dont want to do that , but when ya md is on cooldown ya spending a few minutes tabbing to the mob with the less health and by the end of it you have received the hugest iron cleaver from a mob to your head ! its night night for you cos ya cant cant find FD....Is there anything else in that situation i could of done, mind you getting a new pc is NOT a option :O

Anyway would like some feed back from other hunters ! cos i always tab my targets with accordance with the tanks choice , then click my pet to also target the same target, so if there is a better way then can some one let me know?
    I opted to come in the hunters corner as i thought i knew how to overcome some situations but i obviously dont..I want to improve not just get a bad name especially not with guidies ... and if guildies think that about me, maybe dont run with me as i dont want to hear that negative feedback if you want to help please help me , as mindless comments will be not be helping me in the future runs)

Morg over and out
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Set growl onto pet, MD the healer, volley, FD, and lol as everyone dies.
    No but really, MD tank if you want, and hit something, if you over aggro, wing clip it, and disengage (Diterance if needed) and try and kill it before it gets you. I think thats right, Thats what i would do in a dungon.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 PM

MD+Volley isn't lazy, it's a hunter's sacred duty! :P

Do you have the option to show your focus' target turned on? That way you don't have to tab to the tank's target, you can just click the portrait of the target on the focus frame. Assuming you've already got the tank focused, which it seems you do for the MD macro.

On a more general note, get into the habit of using FD before you pull aggro, rather than after, especially if MD's on cooldown. And if a tank wants to go at breakneck speed, that's fine, be has to be up to it - if he's pulling several packs before your MD is off cooldown, it's up to him to keep aggro. Otherwise the choice becomes between you doing less damage, putting more pressure on the healer, who draws aggro, then you wipe...or you going all out to kill mobs before they overwhelm the tank, then drawing aggro, causing a wipe.

Short version - there are rare occasions where it's not the hunter's fault :P.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM

it's never the hunters fault, unless the hunter dies. due to the cool downs on MD and FD you always have a way to drop agro.

but as for the person saying kite the mob, don't do this, you get agro head straight for the tank as it is easier for them to pull it back, if you try to kite it one miss timed shot could kill you then the next target is normally the healer.

as for BM as a viable raid spec, it fall miles behind surv and MM in dungeons and raids, it doesn't have the skills to work, if you have low armour pen your best bet will always be Surv a lot of the damage is fire and such so you don't deal as much with armour, but if you have loads of armour pen your best bet is MM as it makes the physical specials even more deadly, this is why I stack agility for gems and try to get armour with crit rating as with survive it does much more for my DPS.

you can always try BM in a dungeon but against MM and Surv it doesn't come close, but then even as surv aimed shot can account for a decent chunk of damage.

I considered trying MM as with high armour pen it's meant to be stronger but swapping out all my Agi gems for Armour pens seemed a bit expensive for something that may not work for me in the long run. wish there was a better way to tell before the swap.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM

There is : [url]www.femaledwarf.com[/url] (thanks Chewwie!)