Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    yeah i was reffering of .4.5.6 really and you're right i was probably being a twat...

Well i've often found the presence of an AF can deter some opportunistic strikes, but i'm probably getting myself muddled as last mining security i did was in w-space me in an AF, with 3 cloaked BC's nearby (myrms). worked a treat.

just ignore me- probably safer.
    Just be aware, there's a huge difference between 0.4 and 0.5/6. In 0.1-0.4 pirates can attack freely without Concord intervention, except for Gate Guns and a security hit. In 0.5 and above you're protected by Concord. You can still be blown up, suicide ganking mainly. They'll kill you but get killed themselves in the process. Usually it only happens if you're carrying valuable stuff, then they have a friend or an alt swoop in and loot your wreck. But it can also happen for shits and giggles, and there's Hulkageddon, where people do it for a competition.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

yeah i'm aware of the distinction.

am based currently in .5 and do regular trips to .4 and lower for exploration sites.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

It'll definitely be in hisec, and as close to home as possible. Ideally I'll be able to find a good grav site within 1 or 2 jumps from HQ, if not we can just find an out of the way asteroid belt. A grav site would be better because there'll be more and better ore, and we're much less likely to be disturbed.

7.30 is fine for me, but I may have to vanish for half an hour or so in the middle. That shouldn't be too big an issue though.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

I should be fee to join you. I'll try to get over to the Corps station if I get time. I'm in Minmitar space right now and I would need to move a few ships

EDIT: Hmm, I would need to make 21 jumps (currently in Embod). I'll see If I can work out what it will take to move my stuff.

EDIT 2: All done, Joined the corp and I'm ready to mine

Last edited by SAeN; 07-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM

If we are going to mine in a different system I will create a branch office in a station then we can use the Corp Hanger there to store all the Ore ready for processing/selling.

I did an hours mining in my Retriever last night. I would have made 2M if I sold the Ore but in the end made 2.25M after refining and selling the minerals. Someone in a normal Frigate can make 1M in an hour. If we can find some really nice asteroids this could be increased. I hope we can make 10M an hour working as a team.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Latest market data suggests Scrodite, followed closely by Plagioclase is the biggest money maker at the moment both in terms of raw ore and total refined mineral value.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM

Well the op went very well. A big thanks to everyone who showed up! It's looking like a total profit of about 12mil ISK, which isn't a huge amount, but for a mining op where pretty much none of us were experienced miners, is a great haul Heres my AAR.

We mined a total of:
    153K Omber
    70k Azure Plagioclase
    395K Veldspar
    And some Silvery Omber, but I have no idea how much, or what happened to it.

We also had the opportunity to practice basic fleet movement on the way there - which is always an essential thing to learn. After a couple of jumps where people were figuring it out, we managed to get a perfect fleet warp, though I didnt think to take a screenshot. The actual op itself took place inside what appeared to be the burning ruins of a station, which we'd managed to locate - for some reason it was full of valuable ore. It was also full of a mysterious golden haze which made it really hard to see what was going on. We were only bothered by one other person, who tried to bait us into attacking her for a bit, then flew around salvaging the wrecks of the pirate ships we'd killed. Once we'd mined out every asteroid in the area, we moved on to an asteroid belt nearby for half an hour or so, before finishing. Everything went well, so theres not really a huge amount to improve on - the only way we could have earned more isk is if we could all fly better mining ships (and had an Orca with us). So yeah, perfect success
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM

wish I could of made it, is always next time. nice to see even with the small numbers we can manage basic events.

but the problem you mention above is a problem I am having none of the ships I have seen are a decent size, for example the ship I have now (Navitas) with 2 rank 2 mining lasers fills in about 2 cannon cycles, meaning when I solo mine it's a constant run backwards and forwards between the station. been levelling up mining drones so considering taking a larger ship out with just one turret slot and using drone to make up for the loss of a cannon.

if anyone has any advice on how to mine better without using containers or other people it would be helpful.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    wish I could of made it, is always next time. nice to see even with the small numbers we can manage basic events.

but the problem you mention above is a problem I am having none of the ships I have seen are a decent size, for example the ship I have now (Navitas) with 2 rank 2 mining lasers fills in about 2 cannon cycles, meaning when I solo mine it's a constant run backwards and forwards between the station. been levelling up mining drones so considering taking a larger ship out with just one turret slot and using drone to make up for the loss of a cannon.

if anyone has any advice on how to mine better without using containers or other people it would be helpful.
    This is the advantage of group ops - you can have one guy in a large hauler to transport the ore, and everybody else can just mine as much as they like.

The only way to deal with it on you own is to either use cans (which run the risk of being flipped), or just get a bigger ship (which are expensive, and unless you train up for a hulk etc, arent as good at mining). Working in a group is generally the best way to do it, or using an alt.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM

glad all went well chaps. i'm now in system and all moved (save for the stuff jonan is kindly shipping) next time i'm on i'll sort my hold out and dump all the duplicates in the company hangar.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com