Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Win

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Computer says "No"

Tried to turn my computer on last night and nothing. There is power and fans working but no POST for the BIOS. Swapped memory, reset CMOS battery, disconnected HDs, removed graphics card. Nothing. Definately fried mothboard.

I won't get this fixed until next week at the earliest so no raiding for me.

I'll post again when it is fixed.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Would the motherboard POST even if your CPU was fried?
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM

I had a chat with the engineers at work and the agreement is motherboard.

I just checked and my rig is nearly 3.5 years old so have decided to take this opportunity to do some upgrades at the same time. After looking at the PCG tech forum I am going for this:

[URL="http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/barebones/Novatech/BB-I52400.html"]http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/barebones/Novatech/BB-I52400.html[/URL]

Also added another 4GB of memory for £37. I will move my Hard drives and graphics card from the old rig.

I was tempted to upgrade the graphics card as well but cannot justify the cost at the moment. Maybe Santa will bring me one.

Last edited by Bimble; 05-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Good choice bimble i use novatech all time for work

But if looking at new GFX card then [url]http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx560tifermiseries/novatech/nov-5602.html[/url]
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I had the exact same thing about a month ago. Power, fans going but no POST. Turned out mobo died.
    Was a little hard to get another one since my CPU is prehistoric AM2+, but in the end I managed to get a new one and the best thing was that I have win7 and it immediately recognized the mobo and fixed/changed the drivers. 5 mins later I had the system running like before. Amazing this win7.

Nice rig there btw, but I'm just wondering, isn't the 400W PSU a little "girly"? I mean weak. :P It might be ok for that system, but then you buy an extra HDD sometime and it dies....too little reserve? Maybe?

Last edited by Hubertos; 05-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM

yeah bimble that is a OK package but the power supply will hold you back a lot if you ever plan on getting a GPU upgrade (or if you already have a pretty beefy GPU)

not to mention they are selling it with 1333mhz memory and the sandy bridge chips support 1600mhz.

depending on the case and power supply you have now my it may actually pay you to do what I did and just swap the old board, chip and ram out out and shove the new one in, it should work out a bit cheaper as you are no longer paying for a PSU or case (assuming yours are already good enough)

also my other problem with that PC is they don't actually tell you what make of ram or motherboard is in and the make can actually make a load a difference to life span and reliability (also features) not to mention the motherboard they are using is micro ATX so that will gut down on expandability by a lot (more so if the case is sized for micro ATX as it wont support a lot of newer graphics cards as they are quite long)

I would strongly advise picking all the parts your self and paying a bit extra for quality and peace of mind, as if you pick the parts you know reliable brands are going in and not no name parts that may die after a year or so. if you actually needed help with picking parts you can't beat the PCG tech forums lots of people in there who know what they are talking about and quite a few who if you give a budget and a rough idea of what you want will be able to find the best possible option for you.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

I agree the PSU is a little girly but will be more then sufficient; I have 3 hard drives and a 8800GTS. If it does become an issue I can transfer the PSU from my old rig.

I did think about buying the parts seperately but I could could not be chewwed with messing around especially fitting the motherboard and then the CPU/Heatsink/Fan. The bundle idea is that it's all done for me.

My previous build from them has lasted over 3 years so if this lasts just as long I'll be happy.

Last edited by Bimble; 05-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dedlite View Post
    Would the motherboard POST even if your CPU was fried?
    Nope. All modern mobo's (post 2000) require the presence of a CPU to post, the boot. Completes a circuit, at least when thought about conceptually.

GL with the new build Bimble, the PSU is weak @400W but it should suffice for now. Consider putting it on the list for "updating". 750W should be sufficient.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Good news everybody...

I am back up and running so I'll be back for Thursdays raid.

It went fairly smoothly except getting the hard disks in where I had to resort to using a hammer to bash them into place. Either a bad case design or me being a plank.