Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM

It looks purty. :3
    Motherboard-Asus P5KPL-VM
    Case-Nzxt TEMPEST
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM

It looks like a 2005 game. My "interest" meter for this game is about as low as it can get, frankly. You'd have to pay me to get me to even try it for free. I've become allergic to Asian RPGs and MMOs over the years because they all fall down the same crappy traps of:

- dull story
    - identical characters that return in every game but with a different name
    - repetitive combat
    - exaggerated weapons & armor
    - enemies that look utterly ridiculous and inspire no fear or hatred.
    - horrible menus which need far too much effort to do simple stuff

Sure, some of that goes for Western MMOs and RPGs as well, but not as bad as for jRPGs which really really get on my tits these days.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Considering how much I played through PSO e1&2 on the Gamecube years ago, I'll be interested in giving this a go but it'll still depend on a number of things like peer reviews, how much monthly fees are, upfront cost of the game and the format of the gameplay. As has been talked about, online RPGs have kind of evolved and while I wouldn't want a straight WoW clone with PSO skins, I don't want the exact same experience I had all those years ago.

"All computers wait at the same speed"
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenaceInc View Post
    Considering how much I played through PSO e1&2 on the Gamecube years ago, I'll be interested in giving this a go but it'll still depend on a number of things like peer reviews, how much monthly fees are, upfront cost of the game and the format of the gameplay. As has been talked about, online RPGs have kind of evolved and while I wouldn't want a straight WoW clone with PSO skins, I don't want the exact same experience I had all those years ago.
    When it comes to gameplay, there's a gameplay trailer in the first post:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1R1AQQkIA[/url]
    (in-game content starts at 1:25)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    It looks like a 2005 game.
    So far this has been only pre-alpha footage, the game hasn't even entered in the alpha phase yet. Plus the producer has mentioned that they're making this game to be accessible by a wide range of systems.
    Also, even in this early state, in my opinion it looks much better than many MMOs.

Last edited by ezodagrom; 07-15-2011 at 05:37 PM.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezodagrom View Post
    When it comes to gameplay, there's a gameplay trailer in the first post:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1R1AQQkIA[/url]
    (in-game content starts at 1:25)

Also, let's not forget, so far this has been only pre-alpha footage, the game hasn't even entered in the alpha phase yet.
    Seen that video but it doesn't show any hub gameplay, how questing works, how partying up works, equipment switching like in PSO, etc. It's only basic field gameplay.

"All computers wait at the same speed"
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Alpha, beta, etc used to mean something back in the days, but today it's just buzzwords used to hide behind.

Alpha used to mean "loads of place holders, just giving a basic idea of what to expect and little else, toying with ideas to see what works".

These days, the alpha version often looks very similar to the end result because the publisher demands it so they can use shots for hyping and promotion.

Alpha have become the old beta: buggy, incomplete but good to get a solid idea of what the end product will be. If you play an old beta like Lameduke (released beta of Duke3D), it will show you how much "alpha" it feels compared to so called "beta" games today.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenaceInc View Post
    Seen that video but it doesn't show any hub gameplay, how questing works, how partying up works, equipment switching like in PSO, etc. It's only basic field gameplay.
    Ah, that, no one knows really. Only the very basics have been revealed to the public, and even certain basics haven't been revealed yet (like how the force characters or the casts/robots play).
    At this point it's not even known if it'll be released outside of Japan (hopefully it will). :\
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM

When I looked at the thread title, I was thinking, "Oh boy. Another 1-post advertisement. But when I went in, it was a totally different story.

Honestly though, I won't be checking it out. I am still hooked with WoW.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezodagrom View Post
    A few new pictures.

That is one hell of a big weapon.
    We told you not to science, but you did you scienced anyway. You scienced that scientist with all the science in science. Following your explosive act of science upon the scientist, he scienced in retaliation that your sciencely method of sciencing could have scienced more scientifically.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM

When the gamecube version came out me and my GF at the time killed a hundred hours or so and had a ton of fun, I'm not sure such simplistic gameplay will still satisfy now that I've played all of the PC MMO's. I've hated everything that was multi platform, DC universe was fun(ish) but not fun enough to be worth a subscription. I found the CoH much more satisfying. Hated final fantasy from day one, what a forking grindfest that was. I bought it on PC and my buddy bought it on Playstation, neither of us even made it to the end of our free month.

"well, Maybe it will be free to play then" I'll bet it is actually, crap I hate F2P games though I've tried going back to champions and global agenda but I just get mad about the things I'm supposed to buy that I'm to cheap and hardheaded to ever buy.

I might pick this up just to try it, a lot of people hate the art/graphics style but I think it's great and who knows, maybe it will have more than four missions.

I have become logic, the destroyer of threads, who has come to annihilate everyone. Even without your participation all the fan-boys standing arrayed in their opposing armies shall cease to exist

Therefore, post often and attain glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a prosperous forum. All these trolls have already been destroyed by me. You are only an instrument.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM

New pics and info:
    Quote:
    Good Morning, Today Bonkohara released an email newsletter revealing on July 26th, Sega will hold a media briefing for Phantasy Star Online 2. This media briefing will talk about the setting, concept, and races for PSO2. As such, Sakai will give a presentation showing off PSO2 and will release information on the official site and related sites when ready.

With much pleading by Bonkohara, Sakai has allowed us to watch the event on Nico Nico Douga. (You’ll need a Nico Nico Douga account if you want to watch any videos from that site). Please check out Sakai’s blog on the 25th for information about the broadcast.

According to [url=http://ameblo.jp/phantasy-star-portable2/entry-10961617505.html]Sakai’s blog[/url], “PSO2 content that has been shrouded in mystery, will finally become clear! Please look forward to this briefing because a large amount of information will be shown.”

So that HUnewearl in the previous email newsletter, did you notice something? You remembered her weapons?

Well in these images below, Bunkohara has each player character use a name from PSO. However there are no NPCs from PSO in this game.

PSO2 now has a new weapon category making it’s debut, check it out!

Here’s Sue (in a blue name) throwing an enemy around. You can use this weapon to attack an enemy from a distance. Also in the screenshot, there’s Hopkins next to her.

This guy looks similar to a gorilla type enemy from the Forest. Kind of like the Hildebear, but that’s not his name. Such big hands, why he could throw something with that. His size is considerably large, it would make more sense to compare his height by checking out the last image.

See he’s quite big, but there’s… there’s… 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...9? Hmm somehow there’s a lot of people fighting this one enemy. (According to the screenshot, this enemy is called RockBear)

[url]http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pso2-aug-calendar.jpg[/url]

PSO2 August Calendar 2011
    Chosen by the Development Team
    [url]http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-enemies-development-screenshots/[/url]