Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 AM

WoW's combat falls down because you rarely have to use tactics to succeed. The entire game is built around levelling and because of that, quests only appear when you're at a level where you can take them on. And then they cheat by making monsters several levels above you evade hits so you couldn't get too much XP. It's just completely and utter crap. In Ultima Online, if you were smart, you could take out a dragon which is immensely satisfying. Any game that follows WoW's crap system where the game scales with you, loses my interest.

On top of that, the combat where you hit and your sword flies through the enemy without any evidence of a hit, is ridiculous. Bioware had first promised that light sabers would actually connect but if you look at all footage, they obviously kicked that out of the window in favour of the "classic" lame WoW combat moves where each character goes through his or her own combat moves regardless of what the other characters are doing.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    On top of that, the combat where you hit and your sword flies through the enemy without any evidence of a hit, is ridiculous. Bioware had first promised that light sabers would actually connect but if you look at all footage, they obviously kicked that out of the window in favour of the "classic" lame WoW combat moves where each character goes through his or her own combat moves regardless of what the other characters are doing.
    Can you imagine the number of 40 something level whiners screaming about the fact they got skill owned by a 15th level dude because he maneuvered and chain attacked to prevent retaliation? The whine would be strong on the official forums.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wozzle View Post
    I have to get this game. I want to see how they are going to pull it off. My fear for it is, and always has been, how it'll be sustainable. An RPG with subscription fees is not appealing.

My biggest complaint with current MMO's is the boring combat. WoW has gotten that kind of "push button; cast fireball" combat down probably as tight as it can be (even Rift doesn't change it), so if TOR is going to be built around that I'm worried.

[Edit] I've been watching it some more. It really does seem to be WoW with lightsabers. That worries me deeply, since I can't play WoW for more than 10 minutes now because I'm so deathly sick of it's combat. I still think I'm going to get it, but I'm worried I'll get sick of it sooner than I was planning.
    If you want more 'active' combat, keep an eye out for Guild Wars 2 (to an extent) and definitely Tera Online :-) They're trying to change it up a bit, combat wise :-)
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 AM

There's a lot of negative "just like WoW" comments in this thread, presumably from people who don't enjoy WoW. I’d be interested to hear if anyone out there playing WoW will be tempted to switch to SWTOR.

I'm an ex-WoW player. I'm definitely curious to see to see how the SW license plays out. My concern is that once players hit max level SWTOR won't have anything close to being able to match WoW's post-max level experience. Farming 5-mans and raids, rep grinding, daily quests/dungeons/PvP are all contrary to SWTOR’s story-driven approach. I’m sure they can justify repeating in terms of story (“those pesky rebels took back the secret base again”, “we need another 15 power converters!”) but it’s going to undermine their all-voiced approach. And if the level-cap content isn't there, players will drift away or return to WoW.

The other worry I have is the time and cost involved in creating new content. Unlike other MMOs every quest needs to be voiced and animated, and include multiple versions for players' race/class/sex. This makes new content far more expensive they, say, WoW where they can just plonk down an NPC and give them some text. How long will it be until the first bit of unvoiced content appears?
    "animals are divided into (a) those that belong to the emperor; (b) embalmed ones; (c) those that are trained; (d) suckling pigs; (e) mermaids; (f) fabulous ones; (g) stray dogs; (h) those that are included in this classification; (i) those that tremble as if they were mad; (j) innumerable ones; (k) those drawn with a very fine camel's-hair brush; (l) etcetera; (m) those that have just broken the flower vase; (n) those that at a distance resemble flies."

Last edited by Dubbill; 05-16-2011 at 09:06 AM.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Looks interesting ... I might try it out in the summer holidays I get off ... that's if when the time comes it's more appealing than Rift or DCUO.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM

MMO's as spectator sports have always been and will always be DULL AS DISHWATER.

I watched my friend eat a banoffee pie yesterday, I didnt get to taste or smell it but I could tell from looking that thing tasted vile......

The proof of the pudding is in the eating not in the You tubing.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Cant tell you how i know this, but this is footage over 8 months old.

A bit early to judge the sort of things being mentioned.

umm like...just trust me on this. :P

Last edited by Shriven; 05-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    Looks like another boring WoW clone, I'll pass.
    Looks nothing like WoW.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM

What is concerning me most of all is the total lack of information about any sort of real endgame.

MMOs live or die by their endgame content. It is all very well to make a lovely questing experience with story and what have you, but to plan a subscription based MMO around people hitting the level cap then making a new character and doing it all over again is sheer madness.

People will blitz to the level cap quickly, as they do in EVERY MMO out there, and then they will ask "what now?" The concerning thing to me is that, if they had real ideas of what the endgame was going to be like they would be telling people. But we've heard nothing aside from a vauge "yeah there's going to be pvp and max level raid type instances, but we want to do something different from the norm."

That was said a long time ago and we've heard next to nothing since. If TOR comes out with no real endgame then it will bomb fast unless they are quick about patching one in.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brabus View Post
    Cant tell you how i know this, but this is footage over 8 months old.

A bit early to judge the sort of things being mentioned.

umm like...just trust me on this. :P
    aye was gonna post this too.

that vid is from an OLD build.

game has come along way since then.

Tags

star wars, swtor, the old republic