Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 PM
    Banned

Default "Leaked" Star Wars The Old Republic beta footage.

Hi guys, I was just doing my daily browsing when I stumbled upon this: [url]http://cs.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649[/url]

Yes, it's 1 hour 30 minutes and 58 seconds worth of SWTOR Beta Footage ... and to be honest, I'm not impressed.

Any ways, since there are quite a lot of people into/waiting for SWTOR, I thought I'd leave this here :-)
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Looks like DCUO, but for Star Wars... and not as good.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM

I cant remember who said this, Ryan Davis maybe, but a seriously large amount of capital is riding on the success of this title. With Guild Wars 2 looking as good as the PCGamer preview suggests, I am increasingly worried about that project.

Also, there seems to be some sort of curse revolving around modern day Star Wars products.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluegoon View Post
    I cant remember who said this, Ryan Davis maybe, but a seriously large amount of capital is riding on the success of this title. With Guild Wars 2 looking as good as the PCGamer preview suggests, I am increasingly worried about that project.

Also, there seems to be some sort of curse revolving around modern day Star Wars products.
    I agree, Guild Wars 2 and Tera Online are both looking very good and they're both trying to do something different.
    If there's any MMO's I'll be playing this/next year, it'll probably be those two. (GW2 doesn't have a sub fee so that's always nice :-))
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
    Banned

Watched the complete hour and a half... It is good looking but it reminds me strongly of another particular (breed of) MMO... Which is not a good thing. Mind you it was only L8-L9 game play... so there might be better stuff ahead, but so far, very unimpressed.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Sounds like Bioware may soon be a goner. I can't see this succeeding - the public just doesn't care about WoW-wannabe's and tagging Star Wars on top of it may get them nice initial sales but you can bet that after a month or two, the game will be running empty. If the story is worth it, I may get it as well, but I definitely don't see myself playing it for long.

The original Star Wars MMO was quite good, though - it had lots of flaws, but the way you could plonk down your house where you wanted, scout for good resources and place down harvesters and suchlike was great. Of course, this was before WoW came along, crapped all over the MMO market and made most future MMOs smell like WoW farts.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    Sounds like Bioware may soon be a goner. I can't see this succeeding - the public just doesn't care about WoW-wannabe's and tagging Star Wars on top of it may get them nice initial sales but you can bet that after a month or two, the game will be running empty. If the story is worth it, I may get it as well, but I definitely don't see myself playing it for long.

The original Star Wars MMO was quite good, though - it had lots of flaws, but the way you could plonk down your house where you wanted, scout for good resources and place down harvesters and suchlike was great. Of course, this was before WoW came along, crapped all over the MMO market and made most future MMOs smell like WoW farts.
    Hear, hear! I wish the forum had a post-rating :-) you'd get a definite +1 from me!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Looks like another boring WoW clone, I'll pass.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 AM

The combat in the first 28 minute is painfully boring to watch, but then so was the Warrior in WoW, yet people love playing Warrior, so... maybe Jedi Knight is also more fun to play than watch. Though it's all worth it when he entered the instanced room and the Bioware RPG elements kick in.

The Story will definitely be the thing that sells the game, i just hope the rest of the game can be less painful. Walking around in huge town and jedi temple at snail speed when the place is so big for example... At least they mark the kill targets on the map though, that's good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    The original Star Wars MMO was quite good, though .
    /mute Red_Avatar
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. "This 2004 FPS-RPG has voice-acting, world, and replayability that stands up to or outright beats modern AAA classics like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and New Vegas."
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 AM

I have to get this game. I want to see how they are going to pull it off. My fear for it is, and always has been, how it'll be sustainable. An RPG with subscription fees is not appealing.

My biggest complaint with current MMO's is the boring combat. WoW has gotten that kind of "push button; cast fireball" combat down probably as tight as it can be (even Rift doesn't change it), so if TOR is going to be built around that I'm worried.

[Edit] I've been watching it some more. It really does seem to be WoW with lightsabers. That worries me deeply, since I can't play WoW for more than 10 minutes now because I'm so deathly sick of it's combat. I still think I'm going to get it, but I'm worried I'll get sick of it sooner than I was planning.

Last edited by Wozzle; 05-16-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Tags

star wars, swtor, the old republic